CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Robert Pierce

Profile:
GCBC...discouraging

I got GCBC as a Christmas gift and finished the book a couple of days ago.

I'm really disappointed and discouraged.

I went to one of the best medical schools in the country and one of the best family medicine residencies in the country and after reading this book, I feel like they really let me down.

Taubes makes the point that GCBC is not a diet book, but more of a history of the science book. Yet it is difficult not to read GCBC as a diet book. And while I find the "nutritionism" of which Pollan speaks somewhat more attractive personally, the two approaches are not inconsistent.

I often hear and read on this forum about unpleasant encounters with medical establishment (ie, skim milk recently). I wonder if this book changes that for anyone. I wonder what med schools have taught Dave recently and what they will teach Robert.

Thoughts welcome. Or if not, thanks for just letting me rant.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: GCBC...discouraging

Robert,

I'm not a physician, but your reaction is exactly what I would expect from an open-minded person educated within our medical system.

It would be really good to hear an RD or anyone with a formal education in nutrition weigh in as well. Unfortunately, it seems that GCBC has been largely ignored by the nutritional establishment.

I recently heard a radio segment on a vegan approach to treating diabetes that is advocated by a Dr. Neal Barnard. I checked his book out of the library and reviewed it because I am at risk of this disease (father and paternal grandmother both had it) and consider myself open to new thinking. I must say that, although his diet appears to get very good results, he ignores the growing body of evidence that a low-carb diet is equal or superior to that which he advocates (ultra low-fat, high carb vegan), which pretty much torpedoes his hypothesis that fat is the nutrient that is driving the diabetes epidemic.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
John S Park

Profile:

i thought about wanting to be a nutritionist or rd but i know that the information they will teach me will be very contradictory to my own eating habits.. i feel so much better when eating in paleo format of meat, veggies, nuts, and seeds.. i couldn't imagine eating 6-11 servings of grain a day.. i would probably become sick
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
i thought about wanting to be a nutritionist or rd but i know that the information they will teach me will be very contradictory to my own eating habits.. i feel so much better when eating in paleo format of meat, veggies, nuts, and seeds.. i couldn't imagine eating 6-11 servings of grain a day.. i would probably become sick
Same here, but on the other hand, it could be a positive to have more RD's who "just say no!" to the food pyramid. I'm still debating, since I won't be able to go to school for a couple more years any ways. I'm leaning more and more towards RD though, with the intent of challenging popular diet.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
Gittit Shwartz

Profile:

GCBC blew me over, and I've been a low carber for years before reading it.
In his Protein Power blog Dr. Michael Eades goes over a response to GCBC by "one of the establishment", and Gary Taubes' rebuttal, with links to both:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/s...o-george-bray/ (WFS)

Also, there are signs that some smart people up there are starting to see the light... Here is the new Harvard food pyramid, not perfect, but getting closer:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...u-eat/pyramid/ (WFS)

Regarding your doubts about going to school for RD/nutritionist... If that's what you really want to do professionally, you should figure out what is the minimum certification that will let you practice and open the right doors for you. Do what it takes to get it; stay alert and don't let anything you're taught for "scientific facts" go by you without evaluation; have a few arguments if you must; then move on and practice what YOU believe in. You may have to "recommend" whole grains on an exam, but no one can make you recommend it to a client once you're practicing.
Good luck!