CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
It just came in the mail today... I flipped through it a bit and am amazed by how much information it contains. This is going to be a great read. I have been doing the "3 sets of 10" routine my entire life. The amount of information I have learned about fitness and training in the past 3 months since discovering crossfit is astounding.

Unfortunately I have to go back to studying the Uniform Commercial Code... which isn't nearly as exciting as it sounds. :bangin:

(Message edited by stefan_b on April 10, 2007)
Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
David Bennett

Profile:
Practical Programming is a great book -- I got it about 6 weeks ago. Please let me know how your experience working it into crossfit goes. I have worked the novice program for a month and like it, but there are two main problems. (1) I miss doing the WOD; (2) I am gaining fat faster than muscle and my pants are getting tight, but if I slow down my eating, I won't have enough gas in the tank for the next workout. So I'm torn - do I try to keep up with the Rippetoe program till I reach his intermediate standards and then return to the WOD, or just do the WOD and assume it will make me strong enough eventually.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Stick with Rip's plan and adjust your diet! If you're gaining too much fat, then you're eating something wrong. What's your macro-breakdown for an average week?

All that aside (as it seems like a thread to itself) Practical Programming is amazing, as is Starting Strength. They are probably two books that I would recommend for every trainer in America, excellent stuff.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Jesse,
can't agree with you more!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Truly awesome books. Rip is my new hero. I've been doing the Starting Strength program for the last couple of months and have really benefitted greatly. Unfortunately, it does cut into WODs a bit. I'm doing 2 WODs a week on top of SS and that's plenty of work for my system.

I'm hoping to be as strong as a high school girl by the time I'm 40.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Aye, tis a good book.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:54 AM   #7
David Bennett

Profile:
Keith, LOL--I'm with you on wanting to be as strong as a high school girl. Two weeks from 40 years old, I have been intermittently crossfiting for a year and a month on Rippetoe's program and I am just now getting novice level in my sights.

Jesse, thanks for the advice. To answer your question about diet in case you have further insights for an old weak guy like me, per Fitday my macronutrient daily average for last month was
2763 Calories
Fat 146 grams 47%
Sat Fat 43 grams 14%
Polyfat 30 grams 20%
Monofat 59 grams 19%
Carbs 206 grams 28%
Fiber 31 grams
Prot 156 grams 23%
Alchohol 8 grams 2%
(not counting 3 g fish oil caps and 2 psyillium husk caps }each day).

No reliable body fat measurments. My crappy Tanita scale says I went from 167.4# at 24.6% to 175.0 # at 26.0%. My 3x5 back squant went from 145# to 211# in that period. Per PP I took a 10% stepback on weights when I started missing a bunch and am working my way back up now.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Chris Lampe

Profile:
"I am gaining fat faster than muscle and my pants are getting tight, but if I slow down my eating, I won't have enough gas in the tank for the next workout."

I've had the same problem. I've never done the WOD and I consider SS to be prep-work for eventually getting there.

I know that I'm over-consuming food but since I started lifting heavy I'm hungy ALL the time! I've decided that after 8 weeks of strict SS I'm going to change my workout to lower weight/higher reps (while still throwing in at least one heavy squat workout per week and keeping all deadlifts 5x3) and focus on metcon. I'm finding that my lungs give out way before my muscles when lifting. I had hoped to reach the recommended strength levels for an intermediate lifter before changing the plan but I'm feeling too poorly due to the weight gain.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
David Bennett

Profile:
Chris, I reccomend you purchase Practical Programming in addition to Starting Strengh for Mark Rippetoe's discussion of how to modify the novice program from SS when you get stuck. After a month or so of Backsquating 3x times a week, he reccomends dropping the weight 10% and proceeding with a modified but still linear progression along the lines of

Monday
Back Squat 3x5
Bench or Press 3x5 (alternating each week)
Chins 3 sets to max

Wednesday
Front Squat 3x5
Bench or Press 3x5
Dead 1x5 or Clean 5x3 (alternating each week)

Friday
Back Squat 3x5
Bench or Press 3x5
Pull Ups 3 sets to max

My description is clear as mud. I think he meant for SS and PP to be a set.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
I agree... get both books. This way you have a sense of where you are, where you are going and how to get from point A to point B.

Learn the lifts with Starting Strength and work through Practical Programming.

And David as far as working these books into Crossfit I am working into a schedule where I do two SS workouts a week and 3 WOD's a week. I rest on friday and sunday. Right now I am working on the novice program. The WOD's are generally my own creation but I stick to Coach's template design. One day focuses on single skills for effort, one day couplets for time and the third triplets for rotations.
My focus is on shedding bodyfat right now so I am trying to eat only enough to keep my workouts going.

I am still out of shape, so I am slowly building up to all of this. If you are interested we can talk more about this program, as we seem to have the similar goal of balancing the WOD's with strength training.