CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Jon Shilling

Profile:
One year down, a lifetime to go

Oct 1, 2007... first day of crossfit...

oh man it seems like so long ago. I remember the first workout i did.

"Olga"

3 rounds for time of:

40 sit ups
30 box jumps
20 dips
(all set up as stations around a 400m track, running to each station)

completion time: about 36mins

I thought i was in shape until that day. I had been going to the gym, running on treadmills and whatnot, but my eyes were opened on that day. I wasnt able to do all 20 dips the second and third round, and i threw up in a trash can during the box jumps of the third round. during my first few weeks, when i was still feeling out the idea of crossfit, I did "Angie". It was miserable, it took somewhere around 45 mins with jumping pull-ups. then for whatever reason, 18 days later I tried it again. Thats right, exactly 18 days. that time around i did the same thing but about 19 mins less. Thats when i became hooked. Thats when i realized that this stuff works.

before crossfit, i had never done a pull-up in my life. not ever. and quite frankly, at 250lbs, i thought it was impossible for me to ever do it. but after about 4 months of grinding away, i finally achieved my first.

there has been so many other firsts for me throught the trainging of crossfit.
now im up to about 20 pull-ups, 25 dips, 500 deadlift(a lifetime goal since highschool), I recently did my first bar muscle-up. among many others

I cant thank my training partners enough for what they have done for me over the past year. Mike P. your constant support and technical information has been a real asset to our training, from teaching me how to kip in order to perform my first pull-up, to the constant critique of my squat form... its all helped wonders. Alex W, there's nothing like being sore and miserable and lying in bed when all of a sudden i get a call from Mr. Wolf and hear, "do yooou wanna go?". without that question, i most certainly would have never gotten out of bed. I credit my discovery of crossfit to you, and therefore, my new life. Im 100 times more confident in myself now and i owe it all to you. Alex A, the one guy that was willing to go with me in the rain! The guy that keeps us laughing, even when it hurts like hell to do so. I can always count on you to put a smile on my face, especially when Im about to meet Mr. Pukey.

and to everyone in the community of crossfit. I cant count how many times ive been downtrodden and not wanting to continue, and all it takes is a quick peek at one of these vids to get me going again.

Thanks again to you all guys

-Jon

Last edited by Jon Shilling : 10-01-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Sara Schroeder

Profile:
Re: One year down, a lifetime to go

I love to read these testimonials and see just how much difference 6 months or a year can make! Awesome job sticking with CF!! I've been at it for 5 months and have seen tremendous changes...can't wait to see where I'm at after a year!

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Great story!

Wonderful to hear how much crossfit has changed your life, and to hear about your amazing progresion (20 PU & 500# deadlift?? HOLY BEJESUS!).

So, what was your time on that workout 1 year later? Tell me you did the workout! Sounds like it would be a perfect 1 year celebration!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
Jon Shilling

Profile:

Its been a few months since ive done "Olga" again, but last time i got somewhere around 19-20mins.

Ive decided to do my first hero workout as a celebration. My girlfriend pretty much decided for me it would be "Murph" (she now crossfits too, and is up to 3 pull-ups!).

Im just taking a few days off for now due to a recent incident i had with a 24kg kb. I thought would be fun to see how fast i could do 200 swings... I did the first 110 straight (which my hands regret) and finished at 7:42 with incredible soreness the next day pretty much everywhere. I plan on Saturday night to have the official party so to speak.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Those are some solid achievements.

Going from not even a pull-up to a muscle-up in a year. That's impressive.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
Chris Scott

Profile:

Awesome work! I envy all of it, but especially the deadlift. 500 lbs is just strong.