CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Rip's Practical Programming

Let me qualify this thread by saying I can probably find this answer in some other forums if I took the time to research but I have found I get some of the best advice from CrossFitters. So if anyone can point me in the right direction to answer my question below:

I have the book Practical Programming written by Mark Rippatoe ("Rip"). In the book Rip lays out some routines for novices and advanced trainees but for the intermediates I was a little confused. He lays out a 3 day a week program for intermediates that consists of

Monday - high volume Squats 5 sets x 5 reps

Wednesday - Recovery day so Squats 2 x 5 reps of lighter weight

Friday - PR day max reps 1, 2, or 3

The confusing part was do you only do one exercise per week or how does that work. The book made it sound like you only ever do squats for like 3 months but that can't be right.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: Rip's Practical Programming

Brian,

You're right, that's not it, it's just the general layout of the "Texas Method". Look at this thread (wfs). Near the bottom of page 1 me and Glenn Pendlay lay out almost exactly the same program for someone, almost right out of the book.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Re: Rip's Practical Programming

Brian,

The "texas method" is used for each lift... you dont just do one lift per week (as gavin already said).

I would like to add, that you probably wont be switching from linear progress to an intermediate method on each lift at the same time.

For instance, your squat might still be progressing nicely on a linear program, but your bench is stalled. In this case, if you have tried the several methods to get the bench moving on a linear program again and it hasnt worked, then switch the bench to an intermediate program...no need to change the squat.

glenn