CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Bryan Wheelock

Profile:
Core cooling and Work Output experiment

I saw 2 interesting articles about a core cooling temperature device.
The core idea is that the hands are an excellent avenue for decreasing the core body temperature during a workout.
A lower core temperature correlates to faster recovering.
Faster recovery yields magnificent improvement.
You following me.

"We learned that you can reverse that muscle fatigue in a short amount of time. And if you cool muscles during rest, you get a much greater recovery than if you rested without cooling."

Having been a practicing Crossfitter since November 2003, I have first hand experience how my core temp and work output are correlated.

Here are articles detailing this process:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...ore&topic_set=
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl....DTL&type=tech

I don't want to spend $2000 on a glove, but made me curious to see if we could replicate the device.

It would seem that simply holding something cold in your hand may deliver 50% of the benefit at a minute fraction of the cost of The Glove.
It would also seem that part of the reason the device works is that it creates a vacuum to increase blood supply to the body.
Perhaps that could be tested as well by rotating the arms in a windmill type fashion. Perhaps some people would be willing to test these movements as well.

The Call to Action
==================
I'm going to bring 2 ice packs with me to do my workouts over the next 2 weeks and compare my times to see how they are affected.
I'm going to focus on workouts like Cindy where there are planned breaks so I can apply the ice packs.
I'm going to record the reduction in workout times and see what benefit the Wheelock Method has.
Is anyone else willing to participate?

I've always wanted to have a method named after me, perhaps this will be called the Wheelock Method ( of low-tech core cooling.).
Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Core cooling and Work Output experiment

I just saw this article. Perhaps I will go buy a few packs of frozen peas to test it out. I don't think I will do anything more than play with it, but it would be interesting to try over a few weeks.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

The improvement in pullups in that one experiment really screams "try me out, crossfitters!" I like your experimental attitude Bryan. It got my brain's Engineering gears turning and so I'd like to propose another trial that is faster and I think would have clearer results. I propose the following:

Day 1: Six rounds of max reps kipping pullups. Separate each round by 3 minutes during which you swirl your hands around in buckets of ice water and stand in buckets of ice water. To keep the water from interfering with your grip or your skin's protection against rips wear latex gloves during cooling.

Day 4: A few days later once you are fully recovered perform the same workout but this time no cooling between rounds. Compare numbers.

Thoughts:
-I put the cold hand trial first so that a false positive wouldn't result from your body simply improving at pullups after the first workout.
-If the improved recovery is purely from the heat removal the difference in performance should not take weeks to start working, the improved performance should just be there if the cooling is there.
-Without the vacuum improving blood flow with the hand thing work? Blood flow will go down once the hands are in the ice water.
-Why limit this line of thought to hand cooling? During murphs I've jumped under a shower head because I felt like I was burning up. I certainly think it helped.

Any takers on this experiment?

Last edited by David Meverden : 09-23-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
James Napier

Profile:

How about kb swings or db snatch test; one day with kb or db from the freezer compared to another day at room temp?
Maybe even put the weight vest in the freezer?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Ted Apollo

Profile:

i like what your thinking dave but i think there could be a more accurate way to measure. you can split everyone up into two groups. i think a wod like barbara would work really well with a manditory 1 minute break between each of the 5 rounds to cool down.

Day 1 - both groups do the 5 rounds with 1 minute breaks and no cool downs. report scores.

day 4 - one group does the exact same base workout without the cool down and the other group uses the cool down technique between rounds.

with two groups there is more of a control and we can see the natural variables in the control group to better assess the 'cool down' groups numbers.

as far as the cool down. swinging your arms might produce heat in the muscles which might negate the benefits of the increased blood flow. i would also give up on the using hands to cool down without the magic gloves. the two best places on the body where the veins are close to the skin are the wrists and neck. two small ice packs under wrist bands & one thin ice pack in front of the neck held down by a headband or your hands.

Last edited by Ted Apollo : 09-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Ian Smith

Profile:

From what I've read, the reason it takes a $2000 machine is because you need the vacuum to keep the blood vessels in your hand dilated. Ice is a vaso-constrictor and when your vessels close up your palms are no longer the efficient heat exchangers they are to begin with.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
From what I've read, the reason it takes a $2000 machine is because you need the vacuum to keep the blood vessels in your hand dilated. Ice is a vaso-constrictor and when your vessels close up your palms are no longer the efficient heat exchangers they are to begin with.
Easily solved with a temporary tourniquet as when you're having your blood drawn.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Stuart Buck

Profile:

I was impressed by this, from the Wired article:
Quote:
Grahn and his research partner, biologist Craig Heller, started working on the Glove at Stanford in the late 1990s as part of their research on improving physical performance. Even they were astounded at how well it seemed to work. Vinh Cao, their squat, barrel-chested lab technician, used to do almost 100 pull-ups every time he worked out. Then one day he cooled himself off between sets with an early prototype. The next round of pull-ups his 11th was as strong as his first. Within six weeks, Cao was doing 180 pull-ups a session. Six weeks after that, he went from 180 to more than 600.
Time for a sextuple Angie . . . .
Old 09-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
Easily solved with a temporary tourniquet as when you're having your blood drawn.
Well, while that would certainly keep blood in the hand, I'd say the tourniquet idea does sorta by definition reduce the flow...
Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #10
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Try cold beer.