CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Chris Decker

Profile:
New Home Gym

I thought I would share some pictures of my home gym I put together 6 months ago after spending many months slowly ordering equipment from different manufacturers. Many of my decisions were greatly influenced from the reviews I read on this board so I thought I would give back a little of my own experience.

Bar: Werksan Competition
Overall extremely happy. Out of all the certified bars this is my favorite I have used. With the warranty and price you canít beat it. Good knurling, decent whip and a very smooth spin on the sleeves. Doesnít spin as fast as an Eleiko, but spins smoother without that needle rattle I have seen with some Eleikos. The only three bars I would ever consider buying now are the Werksan, the Pendlay or Pendlay elite, depending on what you wanted to spend.

Bumpers: Werksan Competition and Training
By far the best bumpers I have ever used. These are the older version they stopped making last year and I wish they wouldnít have. They are beautiful and will last a very long time. Very close tolerances on the holes which are ribbed making a very nice tight fit on the Werksan bar which has ribbed sleeves. I wonít tell you the deal I got for the bar, 230kg of bumpers and the metal change because there would be rioting in the street.

Squat Stands + Dip Handles: BW Products
If for any reason you are considering the Ironmind stands, which are terrific stands, go with BW and save some money. They are identical to the older Ironmind except with more holes for adjustability and they have welded end caps. They do not come with bar protection on the saddles but I found a better alternative. Take the uprights to a Line-X Dealer (similar to Rhino Lining) and have them spray the tops. It will cost $25 but it works better than anything I have ever seen and looks very professional. If I was to do it all over again I believe I would go with Samson Squat stands because they are 3x3 7 gauge steal which will weigh double what the BW stands weigh. Not that big of a deal except when walking in heavy squats or re-racking a bench press the stands can move a bit.

Flat Bench: Ironmind
As far as durablity this bench is a bit over kill. It weighs a ton and will handle any weight you throw on it including the family car. The only down side is the feet need to be wider for better support. When doing step-ups I feel a bit of a wobble. Ironmind did this so it could be shipped UPS but one end needs more width on the feet. All in all itís a great bench with nice versatility with the convertible top.

Reverse Hyper with Roller and Strap
Originally we got this for my wife hoping she could lift again after her back trouble but I have been the only one to use it so far. I am not completely sure how much benefit I have received from it but I am stronger then I have ever been with zero back pain. I used to get numbness down my low back into my legs when doing heavy over head work and frequent nerve pain but now I am completely pain free. I feel the RH is the main reason for this. Save your money and only get the standard model. I find no reason to ever use the roller especially if you are tall. The roller catches on the back swing and makes it less effective.

Bumper Plate Rack + Chalk Stand: Sequin fitness
Pendergrass from Sequin is a big supporter of Texas High School powerlifting and makes high quality low cost equipment. He can make you any size plate rack for little or no extra charge that will be built to last. The rack with the chalk bowl ran me $210 and I get more compliments on it then anything else in my gym.

I did not have bad customer service with a single company I ordered from and even the individuals I talk to from Glen Pendlay, Samson, Elitefts, Sorinex and Williams Strength were very, very helpful. Order from a company that has the same passion in strength that you have and you canít go wrong. Good luck with your own gym it is truly the best investment you will ever make.

Lift Hard
Chris Decker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gym1.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2554  Click image for larger version

Name:	Gym2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2555  Click image for larger version