CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: Modality Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I don't know why you guys are talking about 1RM or 3RM. With a weight that heavy, you are not going to be doing any type of endurance or metcon workout. If you are going to do a deadlift and running workout for 5 rounds, with let's say 5 deadlifts per round, you'd probably be using a weight that's like you're 12RM or something like that.

Plus, deadlifts are extremely stressful on your body. And, you have to work up to a 1RM or a 3RM. You can't just warm your body up and go for it. You can't just expect something totally on the max strength side to mesh with something on the opposite spectrume--endurance side.

And, I don't suggest running after deadlifting that heavy. Your lower back will take a beating.
I agree. Don't mix Max Effort stuff like deadlifts with metcon work between reps. At worst, you can hurt your back, and at best, you won't get as much benefit from the lifts. P.S. You do have to warm-up to do it. If you need anything that feels met-con ish on a max effort day, do the cf warm-up, 3 rounds quickly, then rest a bit and start your lifts.
You might want to read the faq's on this also. The mainpage has WODs that are a great mix of both at the best times. Some of us have specific goals, i.e. gymnastics, starting strength, etc...that may require some variations. Also, personal limitations may require some variations as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #12
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:
Re: Modality Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer View Post
I agree. Don't mix Max Effort stuff like deadlifts with metcon work between reps. At worst, you can hurt your back, and at best, you won't get as much benefit from the lifts. P.S. You do have to warm-up to do it. If you need anything that feels met-con ish on a max effort day, do the cf warm-up, 3 rounds quickly, then rest a bit and start your lifts.
You might want to read the faq's on this also. The mainpage has WODs that are a great mix of both at the best times. Some of us have specific goals, i.e. gymnastics, starting strength, etc...that may require some variations. Also, personal limitations may require some variations as well.
Lol. To Late. I hit the gym and already did it let's just say this was a smoker. My 1RM DL is about 405 so I did 315 for 3rm. But the last two round I had an extremely hard time. I did the CFWU and then did a few warmup lifts. The run was done at only 7.5mph on the treadmill so I was running a fairly slow pace for the 800m. The worst thing was the situps my thighs kept tighteing up in the last two rounds.

Last edited by Bryant A Buchanan : 04-18-2008 at 06:49 PM.