CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-24-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I believe the CrossFit position on sleep is to get a lot. Like many people on this board, that isn't an option for me. So just how much do you guys sleep? Has anybody noticed any significant changes in fitness going from less to more or vice versa?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:48 AM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I try to get 7 hours a night but quite often i'm down to 5 or 6 for a few nigths in a row. I notice that I can go for a couple of weeks on low sleep and then i tend to bomb.

If i'm doing really heavy work like the WOD plus extra then I tend to need more sleep.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
I will generally get 8hrs sleep and be alert when i wake up - do a work out and become more alert! If i un-willingly have less i will most likely not be a happy camper!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
Oh, Nikki I'm envious of your 8!! It sounds delicious but my patterns tend to be more like Don's. I am big on naps though. A powernap, I may not even really be sleeping but doing a strange still dance between this world and the next, can hook me up.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
i get 9
me like sleep
Old 10-24-2005, 05:19 AM   #6
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I like sleep but have a job that sometimes does not allow it. On days when I am not on-call I get 7-8 mostly.

Sometimes when on-call I start working and it can be up to 36 hours straight not only no sleep but fairly stressfull in fact at times I have been so busy I did not eat for >24hrs (I try not to skip food that long anymore). Once I get home I eat/rehydrate, crash for some deep but poor quality druglike daytime sleep. Wake up a few hours later try to eat and rehydrate (again) attempt to be coherent to my family then sleep that night.

The workouts the following day varies from excellent to crappy with I can't predict which, I have gone to workout thinking it was going to be a waste all fuzzy headed but had things go great other times blah.

This only happens on average two times a month, but on a busy month could be five. Probably not the best for me physically but "builds character"
Old 10-24-2005, 05:56 AM   #7
Eric L Thomas

Profile:
I try and get 7-9 hours of sleep regularly. I find when I get less than that I need to try and find time to just relax during the day (and usually falling into a napping state.) If I don't, I'll end up going to sleep earlier the next night, then waking up earlier, and my whole day gets shifted.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:20 AM   #8
Bert Brams

Profile:
I make an effort to get around 8 - 8 and a half each night ... if it's less, I try to take a nap during the day ... it really made a big difference in my performance and general mood since I began taking naps to compensate for short nights.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 AM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
7.5 - 8.5 each night during the week. On the weekends, sometimes up to 10. I like sleep and can certainly notice a different in my workouts if I don't sleep well for a few days.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
Bryan Edge

Profile:
I don't think I've gotten a solid night's sleep in the last two years... thanks to my two year old.

I'm lucky if I get 5-6 consecutive hours. That being said... on those rare occasions I get even close to a full night's sleep, I definitely notice the difference...

However, my ultimate goal is to be sleep-free. 8 hours of sleep is for weenies! I do something I think of as "CrossSleep" :

9:00P Read 3 Books to Kid
9:10 Rock Kid to settle him
9:15 Put Kid to Bed
3 Rounds for Time... Or Put Kid to Bed and let him scream and holler for 40 minutes...

10:00 I go to bed

2:00AM Wake up. Pee. Go back to Bed.
2:30AM Wake up. Get hollering kid. Settle him to sleep.
2:40AM Wake up. Get hollering kid. Settle him to sleep.
3:00AM Wake up. Get hollering kid. Settle him to sleep.
4:00AM If I'm lucky, go back to sleep. Or Bring still hollering kid to bed and settle him to sleep. Hopefully.
5:00AM Get up for Work. Drink ***-load of coffee. Go to Work.

Some nights are better than others, of course... and some are worse. My goal is to be completely weaned off sleeping, since my second son is due around Jan/Feb 2006.... Then I'll really get into shape! Hahahaha!