CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #41
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Why no gloves?

I never rip anymore because I take care of my hands and stop when necessary to avoid rips. My hands are fairly tough so I mean... it's possible.

You just have to keep on moisturizing them if you want them smooth and not rough (although I personally don't care that much about that).
Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #42
Francisco Menendez

Profile:

I use gloves and tape and band-aids only when I have a ripped callous. Other wise I go without them.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #43
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I have only worn gloves when my hands are healing from nasty rips, but I haven't had anything like that in at least 5-6 months.

Only time I seem to rip is when I am not diligent about removing calluses, and they only seem to rip on the pull up bar - at the end of long WODs (when I am fatigued) with muliple sets of pullups.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #44
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Straps are great for repping some moves, like snatch grip pulls or surgs. Those wide grip explosive moves are just plain old hand rippers, even if you have mature callouses.

As for max DL, I feel that if you know your grip is holding you back on the dl, and you're working on getting your grip up, it's fine to use straps sometimes, as long as you know what's up.
Not to mention days when your grip is wiped from something else. Say you went climbing or did high rep pullups one day and the next day deadlifts come up. Normally grip isn't an issue but it would be silly to let soreness in your forearms compromise such an important lift.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #45
Mark Miller

Profile:

Why are calluses a bad thing? Aren't they the bodies defense/response to help portect it from the grinding that we put it through? Why get rid of them? I say no to straps as well. I forgot the only time I use gloves is when its below freezing and I am grabbing a metal pullup bar outside.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #46
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Deep callouses bunch up under load and become more prone to ripping.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 AM   #47
Colin McNulty

Profile:

I had many *many* discussions about gloves with my coaches when I first started, as I didn't want the calloused hands. However I acquiesced, mostly because of the "functional" argument: out in the real world, if you ever need to put your physical abilities to use in a serious situation, the last thing you need is to be hindered by having built in a physical weakness: your hands. If your muscles can write cheques your hands can't cash, you're in trouble.

Having said that, I was very careful with my hands. In high rep pull up WOD's I'd take care not to rip my fledgling callouses. I'd adjust my grip to redistribute the load and/or I'd tape up *before* they ripped, not after. Callouses were sometimes trimmed / filled / picked to reduce their size. The end result is after a year of Crossfit, I never ripped off a callous.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #48
John Alston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
Not to mention days when your grip is wiped from something else. Say you went climbing or did high rep pullups one day and the next day deadlifts come up. Normally grip isn't an issue but it would be silly to let soreness in your forearms compromise such an important lift.
Sure, but if this happens repeatedly, you're either not upping your weak point or you've got crappy programming.