CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Why no gloves?

Does anyone else feel like gloves help the grip too? Not workout gloves because those have those massive pads in them that make the bar tough to grip, but if you wear batting gloves or something similar? I tried them once and it seemed like they almost acted as lifting straps because the material bunches up under the bar and since it originitates at the wrist it kind of assists the grip. Anyone else have this experience? That's why I didn't keep wearing them. I didn't want anything to keep my grip from getting the full effect.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #22
Jason Naubur

Profile:

I just want to throw this in too:

My wife has started her second month of a Bootcamp class at the local affiliate and is now getting small calluses on her palms. I think they are really cool.

I love my wife. She thinks I'm weird because of the callus thing....

jason

PS I have torn my palms and cannot recommend it at all. Chalk and a callus shaver - no tears yet and my PUs have doubled since then.

PPS Gant is spot on in his post on how to grip the bar properly.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #23
Mark Miller

Profile:

I hope I did not offend anyone but basically if you dont condition the hands you will continue to have the problems. The surgeon I can see because his hands are his life. The rest of us can benefit a bit from not using gloves. I have ripped open my hands twice since becoming a crossfitter 02/2006. I began lifiting wieghts at about 15yo and I am almost 37 now. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have ripped my hands open. If you are working out in a gym and don't wash your hands prior to leaving, shame on you. That is how we help prevent the spread of disease. those gloves just harbor the bacteria and germs. Suck it up buttercup. Peace! Out!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #24
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I prefer bare hands, but I have used foam padding on a pull-up bar before. Circumstances hit where I decided to just take them off and replace with athletic tape, and that works pretty well, although not as well as the pads. I don't know if people might consider it "cheating," but I don't care either way, because a simple metal bar for pull-ups hurts.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #25
Bob Guere

Profile:

I quit wearing gloves because I couldn't find a purse to match per Rip's instruction....
Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #26
Doug Holland

Profile:

@ Jeff

Thankyou very much for the links and info. I will look into that.

@ Matt

I have worn Golf gloves before and that makes a great grip to me. They bunch up and act like glue to the grip.

Problem is they wont last long if the bar is to ruff.

Thats why I went to a tougher glove in my BB workouts. Baseball gloves sound like an idea.

My issue is that I work on peoples feet all day and calluses might not feel good to them. If I could keep them down (like some of you mentioned) it might be ok. I will monitor there growth.

Doug
Old 03-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #27
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

For me, it's a Black Box kind of issue. In my experience the folks who don't use gloves tend to be much stronger on average than those who do. The "why" could be for lots of reasons.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I didn't know there are so many of you that wear gloves, or should I say openly admit to wearing them. Rip makes a mention of them in Starting Strength. They are an unecessary, moveable piece of material between you and the object you're gripping. This is not desireable. oh yeah, what Brandon said also.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #29
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

As my mother always said:

"I never met a man with dishonest calluses."

I've had calluses on my hands since elementary school, so I never ever thought about wearing gloves. Calluses on the hands just seemed natural to me.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #30
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I've worn gloves for pullups in past years(pre cf). They start to loosten up on me, and I gradually loose my natural grip. I found it better to strengthen my natural grip. I used to have wrist issues. Now, they are strong and stable. My affiliate is very cold sometimes, so I walk in wearing gloves, and remove them during the warm-up before pullups and dips. You might try athletic tape. It doesn't distance you from the pullup bar. As for weights. I love the callouses developed by the gnurled bar. I pick the bar that's the most gnurled, and call it the "non-skid" model. I need my callouses. My pot-holders aren't always handy. My husband is...um...used to them.