CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
Jeff Yan

Profile:
Re: Why no gloves?

In complete reversal of what I posted mere minutes ago, I need to say that I use grip pads, which pretty much work the same as gloves.

I only use them whenever I'm doing a WOD where I'm expecting to do triple digits of pull ups (but isn't that half of our WODs anyway?). I might also consider using them for high reps of kb snatches.

My experience so far has been that, no matter how 'tough' and hardened your hands are, no matter how much callus sanding you do in preparation, and no matter how much you chalk up, at some point past the century mark in the middle of a WOD you're running a higher risk of ripping your palm.
Rips = not being able to finish the WOD at hand or even the rest of the week's WODs at top intensity due to the distraction of widening hand tears
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Doug Holland

Profile:

Jeff, what kind of grip pads?

I was thinking of finding something that would cover the inside palm and metacarpal heads, but would not add many MM's in thickness to the grip.

Doug
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #13
Brandon Oto

Profile:

The reasons against:

- Less security in many movements (the extra thickness tends to get in the way)

- "Nonfunctional" (unless you're always wearing gloves in life)

- Removes most of the skin-conditioning element of the workouts, thus perpetuating the problem

- Basically, they get overused

The reasons for:

- See above. Ripping is bad and sometimes can't be otherwise avoided.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Holland View Post
Jeff, what kind of grip pads?

I was thinking of finding something that would cover the inside palm and metacarpal heads, but would not add many MM's in thickness to the grip.

Doug
Doug
I've used hand-sized squares made of neoprene, about 5"x5". I also made my own out of the rubbery drawer/shelf liner material I got from the dollar store.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5048835...Grip_Liner.jpg
http://www.organizeit.com/pogripit.asp (wfs)
You could probably even try out some ready-made rubber grip jar opener pads.
Since you're holding these pads and not actually wearing them the advantages and disadvantages should be fairly obvious.

Also check out this recent thread, if you haven't done so already:
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=29398 (wfs)
There are two taping techniques linked there that look pretty good.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
Jeff Yan

Profile:

To continue (paraphrase?) Brandon and other posts:
Do develop natural grip strength, calluses and tough hands.
Avoid ripping.

Like I said, I don't use grip pads so much to make holding onto things easier as I do to make sure the callouses don't get pushed off my palms.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Dave Matteson

Profile:

I wear a light pair of gloves, but only for pull-ups to avoid rips. I'll readily admit my grip isn't as strong, and I could probably bang out at least another 5-6 pull-ups per set, were I not wearing them. However, I need to keep my hands in relatively decent shape for surgery. Not only can it become difficult due to pain, but even with surgical gloves, open wounds are a significant risk factor when working on patients with communicable diseases. Anyone else in a similar boat?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #17
Gant Grimes

Profile:

From SS:

"Those who are purely bodybuilders will probably end up gravitating toward this, but before you go this route, consider a few things

1) The gloves make the bar larger in your hands, which makes it tougher to hold
2) Gloves stop some callouses, but won't stop all of them
3) Your grip strength will be very problematic, as you will almost always be forced to use straps when gloves are used.

The reason you are getting callouses, aside from potential lack of chalk (see above), is that you are holding the bar too high, up near the palm of your hand. The bar is going to pull downward until it gets into the "crotch" of your hand next to the knuckles. Chalk up and grip the bar down near the knuckle to start with, and you will save yourself a lot of pain and agony in the hands. With diligent chalk use, proper grip, and a little moisturizer in your hands when you wash, you can avoid the big nasty callouses and you won't have to worry about creating a run in your pantyhose."

If you're wearing gloves to stop bar-grip calluses, then you're gripping incorrectly. If you're getting calluses from pullups, well, that happens.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #18
Chris Butner

Profile:

I guess I'm a outcast in this area. I keep gloves on when I workout. My hands are all over the place. I even have them on the floor a lot. Another big reason I wear them is because of how prevalent MRSA is now. Having cuts on your hands working out in a gym is certainly a safety issue. Those cuts/open sores whatever allow easy entry for MRSA infection. Do as you please, but I will continue to wear gloves. Considering my intense work outs I don't consider myself a sissy one bit, and no one will be talking me out of that. Wearing a glove has never hindered my lift/push in any way.....
Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
John Seiler

Profile:

My gal loves the callouses. She finds them manly and appealing. She thinks that's sexy. She's right.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Dillenberg View Post
I have been Crossfitting for almost a year now and have used gloves every day. I don't understand why so many Crossfitters go barehanded and indulge themselves in blisters and ripping calluses. Is it just a movement towards the hardcore or is there something functional? I just use lightweight gloves to prevent calluses.
I don't wear gloves because:

1) I'm cheap

2) I don't need them... no amount of pullups, cleans, deadlifts, ect has ever caused me to bleed or blister. I'm a small guy (135) so that probably helps.

3) I actually LIKE rough hands. They get hurt less that way

4) I have a general distaste for equipment. I work out in shorts when possible. No shoes, no shirt, no belts, no gloves, no padding on the bar

If you want to wear them, go ahead, although I agree that it will result in less funcationality and I definately agree they provide a false sense of grip.

Those who brag about ripping open blisters and making their hands bleed are in the same category in my mind as those who spend 2 hours on the bench press and scream every rep, and drink 3 protein shakes a day.

Same with those who brag about "meeting pukie"... IMO it's NOT healthy to push that far on a regular basis. Yes, I have workouts where I get neasous, and a couple times I've been on the brink, and yeah I might have a day in the future where I cross that line but it's not my goal. The "puke and rally" stuff I've seen on a couple videos is one of the (very) few things on this site that I think is a negative about the community. It's stupid to do that in a drinking contest, and just as stupid in an excercising contest.