CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
John Stirling

Profile:
Home made equipment

I've been looking through the exercises on the main page and trying to get a feel for what is going to be coming for me since I just started the program. I've also looked through this section and haven't seen anything yet so I'm going to ask. I'm thinking about making some of the equipment I need and the only piece that concerns me is the rings. I'm sure I can figure it out but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or had done it themselves.

Thank.

John
Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Chris Robinson

Profile:
Re: Home made equipment

John, welcome to Crossfit. It will change your life. No joke.

As far as homemade rings go, use the search function at the top of the page and you will find several threads with pictures, discussions, and instructions on making your own.

For what it's worth though, you can't beat Tyler's Elite II rings from ringtraining.com for $75. (I've heard the new Rogue rings are good as well, but I have no personal experience with them.)
Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Jeff Wendt

Profile:

I went with wooden rings, myself.

Slightly on topic, almost... I went ahead and made a sandbag, and I was wondering if it will ever come up on the daily WODs, or if it will be something extra on the side to play with. I'm making a slosh pipe tomorrow, I expect the same thing.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: John
If you've got the tools and the skills, go with the plywood rings. If not, go with Elite Rings. The PVC ones are cheap and easy, but aren't nearly as nice.

Re: Jeff
I don't think I've ever seen a sandbag required as part of a WOD, just because it's such a rare piece of equipment. The same thing goes for rope climbs, tire flips, water jug cleans, etc. Of course, you can always substitute a barbell for a sandbag if you'd like.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Sam Streck

Profile:

I love my sandbags. They are so different then a traditional barbell, and I can do almost anything that I could with one with my sandbags. You sometimes have to get creative with heavier weights (deadlifts) but if you want to add them. I use a combination of free weight dumbbell and sandbag workouts, and I am quite tired after my workouts. My leg workout is a difficultly in and of itself. I look forward to lying down after I get done with them. I can provide some links to sandbag training if you would like some. I have two of myself deadlifting a sandbag, and I can post an explanation of it, should anyone be interested in that too.

I would recommend a sandbag be supplemental then your main piece of equipment, although for me the sandbag is one of three pieces of equipment I own, besides my adjustable dumbbells and the bench. Sandbag training can take some time getting used to as the way the weight is distributed is different then a traditional metal weight. Mix things up everyone in a while, and keep your body guessing so use metal free weights and sandbags. Overhead squats should be fun, I might have to try them.

Last edited by Sam Streck : 02-02-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
James Forbes

Profile:

Here is a good thread.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/10182.html

I made homemade rings using pvc pipe. I heated it in the oven, as suggested in the above thread, then wrapped the softened pvc around a gallon paint can. I used truck tie-downs for the straps.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Scott Dyck

Profile:

I made homemade rings first, from tie down straps and Nylabones. They were way too small, hurt a lot, and cost about $30 to make. I ended up getting the Elite rings from Tyler. If you can afford it, I would go with the manufactured rings from the get go. You'll be a lot happier I think.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Pre bought rings are safe, strong, comfortable and not a lot more money then it will cost you to make them yourself (when you consider time, petrol, electricity, and materials). Take the plunge and get some of Tylers, the black Elite IIs are fantastic.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I actually played around with an idea on homemade rings:

a 90 degree EMT elbow from the electrical section at home depot or lowes, inserted into some plumbing hose from the plumbing section. the hose im talking about is clear much like hose you'd use on the back of a fridge or for a sprayer on a sink. I tried it in the store and it worked great and felt good to. That's a pair of rings for under $7.00 and without all of the work of baking or molding or filling with sand. You could put some 3/4" or 1/2" tubular nylon webbing through the elbow and run up and over a rafter or pullup bar. I wanted to buy the material to make a pair just so I could take a pic and post it here, but I already have a pair of purse seine rings and classic elite rings.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Cullen Foresman

Profile:

Carlos, what was the diameter of that tubing? If you could bend it into a circle easily I doubt it would be strong enough to hold its shape at all with your body weight on it. Maybe if you filled it with something like epoxy or urethane?