CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Tyson Lo

Profile:
Cross Fit Total/ Incorporating more

Hi all,

I'm new to CF and I have some Q's.

For a work out like "CrossFit Total"

Back squat, 1 rep
Shoulder Press, 1 rep
Deadlift, 1 rep

What should I do for warm up? Do these 1 reps show max out strength?

Also, on days like this, can I incorporate more? Could I add some more squats or a bench press or preacher curls? When could I do these things? I find myself wanting to do more, since I historically spend like 2 hours in the gym 2-3 days a week.

I have slacked off last semester as I was busy and I was lifting weights off an on (maybe 1-2 days a week - used to be 3-4 days/week) and I've been doing CrossFit consitantly with some subs for 3 weeks (scaling down 25-35%) and liking the high-intensity, short work outs. I think this is the key to the reason that I can work out 5 days a week, b/c I am a busy ivy league student.

I am in decent shape, 6'1", 220lb and on the chubby side (its college and I drink beer), but decently athletic. I have run/ walked 10 miles and can do 6 no problem, or play basketball for 2-3 hours. I can leg press 400lbs+ or squat 225 6 times, bench 185lbs 6+x or 135lbs 15+x. I almost never max out. In the past I have

My goals are to get cut, be more athletic, but I must admit I'd like a little bit more excess muscle for asthetic reasons (im already a pretty big guy.) I would like to acheive my goals quicker which is why I want to do more? What does everyone think about incorporating a starting strength or black box, since I'm not that strong and I want to get bigger.

Also, when can I incorporate a couple hours of basketball or a long run or a high energy martial arts class?

How bad is beer? What about smoking a few cigarettes every other day? I know they are really bad, but I probably have to hear it. I will probably quit once I graduate in 5 months.

On other matters of nutrition, what do people think of nutrisytem or lean cuisine. It seems like a lot follow the Zone? I love food - what are some good foods that are still very good for you?

A lot of Q's - Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Tyson Lo : 01-29-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Tyson Lo

Profile:
Cross Fit Total

For a work out like "CrossFit Total"

Back squat, 1 rep
Shoulder Press, 1 rep
Deadlift, 1 rep

What should I do for warm up? Do these 1 reps show max out strength?

Also, on days like this, can I incorporate more? Could I add some more squats or a bench press or preacher curls? When could I do these things? I find myself wanting to do more, since I historically spend like 2 hours in the gym 2-3 days a week.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Bill Shiffler

Profile:
Re: Cross Fit Total

Check out this link for the CFT. I got it from the crossfit FAQ right at the top of this page. Many of your questions can be answered there.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/#1544

I would do a standard wmup, just like you would on any other day. Something along the lines of the CF wmup, if not the Cf wmup itself. Then follow the instrucutions from the link.

Whether or not you do more depends on your goals, but the CFT should probally be done as RXed ( i.e. don't add a fourth set of squats). Then, after doing the CFT, you could do something else.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Cross Fit Total/ Incorporating more

Warmup is generally specific lifting, but you can do other warmups to get you warm.

For example, some may do CFWU and then light loads building up to heavy. Others may just start out light and build up. Building up, for instance, is this if your 1 RM was 300 lbs:

1x8 45 lbs
1x5 135 lbs
1x4 225 lbns
1x3 265 lbs
1x2 285 lbs
1x1 295 lbs
Then go for personal record (PR) attempt.

Same applies for the other lifts. Basically you want to max out for that day.

Quote:
You don't need to, and 2 hours in the gym is a bit excessive.

Bench and preacher curls.. are not looked highly upon here mainly because you can do better things with your time. For example, if you can do weighted pullups with an extra 100 lbs you're working your lats, chest and biceps.. do you think you're gonna have small biceps or something? If you want to add stuff it is recommending you do compound movements preferably full body (oly lifts, for example).

Quote:
My goals are to get cut, be more athletic, but I must admit I'd like a little bit more excess muscle for asthetic reasons (im already a pretty big guy.) I would like to acheive my goals quicker which is why I want to do more? What does everyone think about incorporating a starting strength or black box, since I'm not that strong and I want to get bigger
Get cut = diet.
More athletic = CF will be a good fit for you.
Gain muscle = ~90% diet, 10% training; SS or MEBB would be a good fit.

Quote:
Also, when can I incorporate a couple hours of basketball or a long run or a high energy martial arts class?
If it's fairly light work you can do these during your rest day as active recovery. If it's gonna be a workout, then schedule it in like a workout.

Quote:
How bad is beer? What about smoking a few cigarettes every other day? I know they are really bad, but I probably have to hear it. I will probably quit once I graduate in 5 months.
It will hinder pretty much everyone else you want..... don't see why you would want to do that.

Quote:
On other matters of nutrition, what do people think of nutrisytem or lean cuisine. It seems like a lot follow the Zone? I love food - what are some good foods that are still very good for you?
Go to the nutrition section and read a lot of the threads.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Don't cross post please. If you put it in 'Starting' don't post it anywhere else because you will get answers wherever you post it.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Cross Fit Total/ Incorporating more

Like Steven said, check out the nutrition forums.

Lean Cuisine and Nutrisystem tend to follow a different concept of "healthy eating" than what is typically promoted here. They're targeted at fat loss for the most part, but not much else. If it came down to it, they'd probably be healthier than just eating regular nonsense.

But if you're looking to eat healthier while still having some flexibility, then look into the Zone. You can still technically eat whatever you want, provided that you can control the portions carefully. It's a bit of work but might be worth looking into.

There are about 15 new Zone threads posted in the Nutrition section each day, so there's definitely no shortage of information, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Tyson Lo

Profile:

Thanks for the answers.

One other question:

A lot of my weight lifting friends said I should not go max out on single reps because I am still a novice and I could hurt myself. Admittedly, my form is not perfect, but I think it can get there. I would say my form is decent. Should I aim to do 3 reps, or just do as much weight as I can at a good form?

Also, on these days, when it is single reps, is it ok to do more than prescribed? Is it ok to go until failure and soreness, which I am used to in normal weightlifting? What about doing more time for something like Mary or Cindy? Also, if I am winded, is it ok, to take a 20-30 sec break or grab a bit of water - what's the best time to break? I did 11 Mary's last time, but did rest a little bit.

Lastly, when should I schedule extra work out days that I want to go hard like a spinning class or kickboxing classs? How bad is it to delay normal WODs by a day? Sometimes I feel like going on very long runs to burn off extra calories.

Last edited by Tyson Lo : 01-30-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Do not do ANYTHING with bad form. If you have to scale down or do triples instead do that. Putting yourself at risk for injury is not a good idea.

2. If you want; however, generally CFHQ will make it so that the heavy lifting days will have hard workouts around them so generally you do not want to because you need the recovery.

P.S. Failure in heavy lifting is NOT recommend.

P.S.S Soreness is useless and not an indicator of a good workout so I don't know what you would want to do that.

3. If you want to add some stuff you can. But I doubt you will be able to unless you come in with a good conditioning capacity.

Long runs to burn off cals is crap. If you're gonna do something do like HIIT or tabatas or metcons which you at least get excess post-workout oxygen consumption (EPOC). More effective. FIX your diet first though.

And for the most important point...

4. Do the the WODs for a month and then if you feel you need to add something else then do so. I can almost guarantee you will not want to add anything if you're going at the workouts all out.

There are tons of people on here who can probably do every single WOD better than you (not to mention probably outlift you and outrun you) who ONLY do the CF WOD. You don't NEED anything extra if you're doing the program right. Some people obviously add stuff because they play sports, but that's another topic all together.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Jason Karr

Profile:

[quote=Steven Low;250298]1

P.S. Failure in heavy lifting is NOT recommend.

P.S.S Soreness is useless and not an indicator of a good workout so I don't know what you would want to do that.

Long runs to burn off cals is crap. If you're gonna do something do like HIIT or tabatas or metcons which you at least get excess post-workout oxygen consumption (EPOC). More effective. FIX your diet first though.
QUOTE]

Can you go more into detail as to why you say this? If you have some time. I know a guy at my gym that his whole goal is to get as big as possible, and he is now trying to cut up a bit but keep his size. He works out for 2+ hours a day and sometimes longer. He actually goes to the gym in the morning and also at night. I think that is insane and he has too much time on his hands but he says he does everything to failure.

Also I was always told that the soreness is from ripping which is what promotes muscle growth. Is that just an old wives tale? Thanks.

Last thing is my wife is trying to lose weight. I am trying to get her into crossfit and I try to get her to push herself. She says she is so I have to take her word for it, but on the really short nights like the 400 meter sprints you think I should have her do the tabatas and metcons? Does it matter which ones?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
Eric Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Karr View Post
Last thing is my wife is trying to lose weight. I am trying to get her into crossfit and I try to get her to push herself. She says she is so I have to take her word for it, but on the really short nights like the 400 meter sprints you think I should have her do the tabatas and metcons? Does it matter which ones?
On MetCon days if your wife can do tabata or HIIT runs then she isnt pushing herself hard enough during the WOD. On the strength days i think it would be ok to add in some MetCon work (HIIT, tabata, etc.) if she feels up to it. Make sure her diet is in check because if she is eating like crap, she will burn out, feel like crap, and look like crap. Diet is ~90% of the game while trying to cut the fat. All that being said, there have been many people here who just do the CFWU and the WOD, clean up their diet (Zone) and get great results without any added work. Check THIS out and be sure to show it to your wife. link is wfs (may have some borderline language if i remember correctly)