CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Jason Naubur

Profile:
Advice - starting my wife on the zone

My wife has decided to follow the zone.

Background: I have done the zone for ~8 months now, and while I do the WODs regularly she does not. She has been doing some WeightWatchers for a while but has not seen the results she wanted. She hopes to lose around 30lbs. When she is 'in the zone' I will start her doing some basic crossfit movements, but for now it is diet only.

Questions: I had a hard time measuring her for the Zone tables, but it came out to around 8 blocks a day (yikes! I eat 16), so we opted to start at 13 blocks and go down to 10 (small female in CFJ #21). Is that a good strategy to start with?

It is only a few days in for her, and she complains about being very hungry around dinner (plan is 3,3,2,3,2) and wanted to change to (3,2,2,4,2) - is that advisable?

Food sample today for her breakfast:
2 eggs scrambled, 2 small yogurts (she loves them so I OK'd them for now as they are artificially sweetened - 2 equal 1P1C0F), Small piece of low glycemic toast (GI 55) with small amount of Peanut Butter, and some grapes.

Other meals include lean chicken, raw green beans, green peppers, grapes, broccoli, apples, some cheese, almonds, cashews, milk.

I have been pretty lenient and wonder what everyone's advice is on this: eg - while she has cashews and almonds at work for lunch, for breakfast she had some Jif Peanut Butter. I don't want to make the diet too much of a change, hoping that she will start seeing some changes in body comp and make more changes herself - or is this setting her up for failure? Being overly strict makes me feel like a jerk.

Sorry for all the questions, but I can control my own cravings / diet, but teaching my wife is hard! Sometimes I mean to be helpful but it comes out like an attack...

Oh, and any similar inspirational stories I can relate to her would be beneficial.

Jason

Last edited by Jason Naubur : 01-09-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added comments to PB example.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Re: Advice - starting my wife on the zone

Some ideas:

Look for a better yogurt. Check out yo-baby's numbers (I am not kidding).
I found Dannon at Walmart in the large container has pretty good ratios.
other nut butter > only ground peanut butter > JIF

Hungry with or without mental focus?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Jason Naubur

Profile:

I personally eat Plain non-fat organic yogurt, and almond butter. To ease my wife into the zone I was being somewhat lenient - I was more wondering what people's advice is on being lenient.

I will ask about the 'mental focus' aspect. However from personal experience, until I was on the zone for a while and then had a cheat meal I really had no idea what good mental focus was. So I find it hard to use as a guide for her, but I will try to describe it.

j
Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Daniel Barulich

Profile:

For the peanut butter selection, I would switch out the JIF to Laura Scutters (did I spell that right?) or another type of all natural peanut butter. The only ingredients on the list of peanut butter should read: Peanut Butter, Salt. JIF, Skippy, and other supermarket brands have hydrogenated oils and sugar additives to the peanut butter which negates its otherwise beneficial properties of the nut (high in healthy fat and protein).

For the Toast, I would switch to Ezekiel Sprouted Grain bread. The toast is very dense in fiber (3g) and protein (4g) for its small size (roughly 3/4 that of regular toast). Combining the natural peanut butter and toast around breakfast would definitely satiate her. Also, switch out the yogurt to something Organic and Non-sweetened. Trader Joes carries excellent Organic unsweetened yogurt at an incredible price as well as the sprouted grain bred. If you don't have TJ's in your area, you can find the bread and non-sweetened yogurt at your local major supermarket. If she feels the yogurt to be too bland, add some berries or a bit of honey to sweeten it up. A tablespoon of honey isn't going to get her "off the wagon".

As for her hunger at night, is she typically eating lean meat with her lunch and dinner, or just the nuts? If not, based on personal experience, I would recommend she add a small portion of lean meat for lunch and dinner, as it seems to help curb the cravings quite well and satiate most people.

The vegetable selection looks solid. Don't be afraid to vary it every now and then. There's no such thing as a daily list of vegetables which must be consumed.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Naubur View Post
To ease my wife into the zone I was being somewhat lenient - I was more wondering what people's advice is on being lenient.
Lenient is good imho. Diet is such a personal choice. Are you making it too easy on her by making all the decisions and recommendations? Has she read the books etc? Is she really "bought in"? I am not looking for an answer to these questions.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Isn't being a hungry going to be normal for starting the zone until insulin/hormone levels correct and steady themselves?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Kim Dowse

Profile:

Jason - I've been on zone/paleo for quite some time for 9 months. I will reiterate Pauls "food for thought" (no pun intended) on whether she's bought in to the zone or is she doing it for you?

My meals are super simple…and I try to get the biggest bang for the block (ie…broc, cauliflower, spinach). I do 2-3x fat block (all good fats…Jif – not good). If I have fruit, it's usually in the morning. The first 7 - 10 days suck. Drink lots of water, herbal tea.

For example, breakfast pancake 2 blocks=
4 eggwhites...whisked, add 1 tbsp almond flour, dash cinn and a few drops stevia cook over low heat. (2 blocks protein, 1 block fat)
1 cup warmed blueberries on top (2 blocks carbs)
6 almonds crushed (2x fat)

My dinner last night was:
3 oz chicken (3 blocks protein)
Salad - 2 cups spinach (.5 C), 2 cup cauliflower (1 C), 2 cup broc (1 C), 1/2 cup strawberries (.5 C) (total 2 blocks carbs)
1.5 tbsp olive oil, dash balsamic vinegar, mustard seed = 2x fat blocks.

My daily calorie intake ranges between 1300 and 1600 calories (I eat more fat on training days) and I do 11 block plan. Not certain what type of inspiration you are looking for, but my performace is MUCH better when I eat better. In one yr of CFing and 9 months zoning...0 pull-ups to 25 pull-ups, 95# bk squat to 165# bk squat, 165# DL to 229# DL, 75# fr sq to 142# fr sq, my running is more efficient, I can actually now do double unders, etc.

When I eat crap...grab a zone bar on the run, sugary desserts, I feel lethargic (body and mind). If she cleans up her diet and begins, even light workouts she'll see results. BTW, if she's wondering...I'm not young either - 43 yr old, 5'5", 129 lbs (this morning....have 4 more to go).