CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
Sam Streck

Profile:
My home gym is a Macgyver Gym

I am setting up a home gym on a budget and this is what I have got so for.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/932/PC250871.th.jpg This here is what may end up being my long use bench press. It does flat and incline right now
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5127/PC250870.th.jpg Another shot of the mattress and what's being used to hold it up
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3127/PC250877.th.jpg This is the Weider Bench that I am going to put together probably tomorrow or latter today more likely.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3715/PC250872.th.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2507/PC250873.th.jpg
These next two are the cool part of this setup. The PVC pipe allows me to traditional squat and deadlift. I squat by tying string around the bags holding the weights, and the endtables there hold 90lbs easily. The strong dangles a little, probably around 12-20 inches, I have to measure it still I have two of them, so I can do at least 180lbs. I deadlift by tying my longest bag to the pole and I can grip the pvc pipe in a normal grip for a deadlift.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
Sam Streck

Profile:
Re: My home gym is a Macgyver Gym

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/998/PC250876.th.jpg This is one of my largest bags that I have that will most likely be used in my deadlifts. I can use it for a couple of other things, but for now deads and over the shoulder squats and lunges. I will also do rows with it of course as well.
My weights:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1849/PC250868.th.jpg These are my 10lbs bags, I don't know how well it's going to hold so ones taped up, the other no clue
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2060/PC250875.th.jpg The string I am going to used to tie things off, and attach the bags to the pipe
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2803/PC250874.th.jpg This is the sand that I used to fill my bags. I still have this one and three others to go threw.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9444/PC250869.th.jpg This one is a little over 25lbs.

I am going to use the smaller 2.5lbs and 5lbs plates that came with my bench for the smaller increments of weight. I will most likely put them in newpaper or something so they aren't as hard on my sandbags.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Anthony Militello

Profile:

for larger bags get military duffle bags from surplus stores. and double bag the sand in large heavy construction grade garbage bags. the put it in the duffle seal..and finish off the top with one whole roll of duct tape.

i have 3 and have been using them going on 2 years with no loss of weight and lots of fun
Old 12-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

I admire your dedication to set up a home gym out of matirials available. Others may dissagree here, but I feel that you may be aiming your time and efforts in the wrong direction. Bodyweight training (e.g dips and pullups) should be the main focus in a home gym on a very minimal budget. A pullup bar and dips bars are cheap or free if you use your imagination. For the legs- 1 leg squats. Sandbag training is great also. All over body- burpees. Instead of buying a brand new weider bench you could have bought some second hand weights (great bargains can be had on iron).

Just by spending a few dollars you can have a great gym. If money is tight then find a way to make a bit more, or perhaps sell some stuff you don't need. You'll be amazed at what just $200 will get you (even more so if you shop around).
$200 could get you:
Pipe and webbing to make a pullup bar
Set of rings
Basic weight set or kettlebell
Duffel bags
Basket ball and duck tape
Sand
Ab wheel
Jump rope
Mat

then theres all the free/ perhaps readily available stuff like a sledgehammer and big tire, big rocks, etc.

.....this is the makings of a fantastic gym.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Sam Streck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Armstrong View Post
I admire your dedication to set up a home gym out of matirials available. Others may dissagree here, but I feel that you may be aiming your time and efforts in the wrong direction. Bodyweight training (e.g dips and pullups) should be the main focus in a home gym on a very minimal budget. A pullup bar and dips bars are cheap or free if you use your imagination. For the legs- 1 leg squats. Sandbag training is great also. All over body- burpees. Instead of buying a brand new weider bench you could have bought some second hand weights (great bargains can be had on iron).

Just by spending a few dollars you can have a great gym. If money is tight then find a way to make a bit more, or perhaps sell some stuff you don't need. You'll be amazed at what just $200 will get you (even more so if you shop around).
$200 could get you:
Pipe and webbing to make a pullup bar
Set of rings
Basic weight set or kettlebell
Duffel bags
Basket ball and duck tape
Sand
Ab wheel
Jump rope
Mat

then theres all the free/ perhaps readily available stuff like a sledgehammer and big tire, big rocks, etc.

.....this is the makings of a fantastic gym.
Thanks for the input Andy, and I would love to be able to have all of that. I love the iron as much as anybody who takes training seriously, but where I am, there are limits to where and what I can use. I have no real place for a decent iron weight system as my basement is finished with some decent wood flooring, and even with padding, I'm not certain how the floor would stand up to it. I live at home with my dad, so his house his rules even though I'm 19.

I have rafters that I can do pull ups from, and if it weren't for the fact I found that PVC pipe, I would most likely be one legged squats, lunges etc. This system is really a "hybrid" of conventional and not so conventional. My weights are sandbags, and I have plenty of duffel bags laying around, anywhere between 18inches and three feet. My workout is going to be part pure sandbag, and part close approximation to iron weight workouts. I am going to do squat and deadlift variations. I may outgrow the Weider bench, in terms of weight being able to be put on it but I can use it for other purposes, such as Bulgarian squats, bicep curl isolations, seated overhead presses etc. It also came with 100lbs worth of dumbbells which is nice. I have about 225lbs worth of sand to use as well, plus over 100 feet of rope to tie things down, up, etc.

I'm working with what I have and I may end up getting more equipment. I have a four day split that I have come up with that works well with this equipment and I don't recommend that people go out of their way to do this. It's really just showing what can be done on a budget. All of this cost me less then $60. The bench was a gift, and as I loose a little weight, this bench may last me longer then I think. That's when I have to get creative, or go out and get new equipment. By that point, I will most likely have access to a regular gym again. Call me insane, stupid, clever or somewhere in between if you will. I know that I fit somewhere in there.

I can cross-post my four day split in the other forums if anyone wishes to see how I am using all this.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Can you not keep some weights in the garden? Not talking about a bumper set or anything, just a load of standard plates for presses, rows, deadlifts etc. I've got a 150kg set sat in the garden for that very purpose.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Neil Beevers

Profile:

I agree with Andy. I think you would be much better off focussing on bodyweight movements. Trade in the bench for a kettlebell if possible. Get a kettlebell with a ruber base if possible.

"I have rafters that I can do pull ups from"

Pull ups from the rafters are an insanely difficult exercise, or did you mean you have a pull up bar attached to the rafters? Maybe get some rings set up fom the rafters too. And if the weight lifting portion is that important to you, instead of doing deadlifts with sand on tables, try to get yourself some Iron Woody Bands. Then get a four to five feet bar and maybe build yourself a platform to attach the bands too. I know a few people online that have done this. They are doing well with it too.

Yours,
Beev