CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Fed Cadavid

Profile:
comparing the werksan bumper set vs. crossfit discount weight set vs york rubber set

I am considering buying one of the following sets:
1) the Werksan 125 kg High School Training SetWFS
2) the crossfit discount weight setWFS (maybe replacing the bar to the economy bar ($229) if possible
3) york set: North American Needle Bearing olympic bar + 10,25,35,45 lb solid rubber bumpers.

Does anyone have any recommendations between the 3?

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 11-30-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: ALL LINKS MUST STATE IF WORK/FAMILY SAFE
Old 11-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: comparing the werksan bumper set vs. crossfit discount weight set vs york rubber

I see that the Werksan set uses a Pendlay bar. That levels the field a lot, IMO.

I'd personally go with either Pendlay or York, simply because of the stellar service that Glenn Pendlay and Angela Foreman have (respectively) given to the CrossFit community. I like to reward outstanding service with more business.

That said, any of the 3 sets would serve you well.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Todd Lynch

Profile:
Re: comparing the werksan bumper set vs. crossfit discount weight set vs york rubber

That would be Allison Foreman.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Glenn Pendlay has the best deal IMO, his customer service if off the hook, and he's just a nice guy. The fact that he has the best deals has been reaffirmed by a number of other people lately, so my suggestion is go with Pendlay.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lynch View Post
That would be Allison Foreman.
So it would

thanks for catching my mistake.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Douglas A. Glisson

Profile:

As I understand it, Bumper plates are not solid rubber. They have a steel plate in the center. Then there are the solid rubber plates. Can either of these types stand up to crossfit training styles? I can get the ones with steel centers in Calgary pretty eaisily but not sure about solid rubber ones.

P.S. Read "pretty eaisily" as being an idiot from Kansas lost in Calgary for 3-1/2 hours trying to get out of town (the right direction) after a trip to the NW GoManGo Fitness store. I'm not the brightest guy bust I'm very consistent.

Glisson
Old 12-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

I can't speak for bumpers with the steel centers, but the training bumpers from Allison or Glenn hold up just fine to CrossFit training/abuse, such as dropping bars with 25 lb bumpers on them by themselves from overhead repeatedly.