CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Home-made rings

I had a go at making some rings the other day using 3/4 PVC pipe in the oven as per instructions. I filled them with sand and bent them round a barbell but still got some crinkles in them. Also the pipe sort of flattens a bit - doesn't stay round. What might I be doing wrong? I'm not sure if a chain will go through.

The only thing I can think of is that this is used retic pipe, I wonder if it was brand new would it make a difference. Does anyone know? It wasn't that old but I did notice of the few I did the oldest pipe was the worst.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Re: Home-made rings

How tight did you pack the sand? The more you get in there the more it should resist kinking. Make sure you're not pulling at all when you bend them... It's probably the age, though.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Well I used dry sand from the garden and just poured it in until it was full then taped up the ends. So I couldn't have put much more in. Maybe I'll just try again with some new pipe. Just irks me to buy it when I've miles sitting around! :-)
Old 11-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I did the same thing Aileen.

If you're bending them really fast when they come out of the oven, that might stress it too quickly. Try doing it slow and steady. I was forced to do it this way, since I didn't leave them in the oven long enough to heat completely, so the bend was a lot slower. I would also recommend getting some fine playground sand from a Home Depot/Lowes/etc. You can pack it in a lot tighter and evenly this way.

While I'm happy with my rings, the total expense neared around $40 -- including pvc, sand, duct tape (for some ungodly reason I didn't have any already), and the straps to secure them with.

They serve their purpose well enough, but some things to take note of:

If you use duct tape to wrap the ends while it's in the oven, the ends will NOT heat enough to bend. I ended up with Gymnastic-U's instead of Gymnastic Rings. It's not that big of a deal, but if I come down at a bad angle from a ring dip, I slash my arms up on the edges of the pipe... no fun.

A good temporary solution, but at almost $40, I may as well have saved some time, trouble and pain and just invested in a solid set of Powermax ones for just over twice the price. Ultimately I think it would have been worth it.

Best of luck with yours!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Actually it did take more to heat the ends - I actually bent them in 2-3 stages - got the middle done and then stuck them back in for the ends. I thought it might have been because one end at least was only just fitting into the oven! And you could be right about the sand because our garden sand has a bit of organic matter and the odd small pebble in it. I could always sieve it!

I contemplated buying them but for us here in Oz it amounts to more like $100 by the time I factor in exchange rate and postage. Thought I'd do these first and if they prove useful I might buy some proper ones later. I could be an abject failure on them in whch case I won't have lost anything!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I'd try the plywood route - glue two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood together, cut it as close to a ring as you can and then sand them hard.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

U's may actually be better than rings. If the top is fully open, there won't be any tips to gouge your arms on dips/muscleups. I'm thinking of sawing off part of mine; they nearly meet, but they're not mated together, so they've still got edges right where your arms move. (Maybe if you're really smart you could make a ring, turn it sideways, just run the strap through the loop, and use it with the opening facing away from you. You'd still probably need to tie a line through the ring to give it strength, but it might work... hmm.)

Wrap tape around the ends once they're ready, anyway; that'll cover the rough edges.

And they'll probably work even if they're not perfectly cylindrical; they're just supports, not high-quality optics. I ran my strapping through using some electrical fish tape, but I'm sure there are other methods.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Steve Smyly

Profile:

I made mine today. I found an old piece of 41" long, 3/4" pipe, cut it in half and packed it with sand. Taping one end and using damp sand worked good for me. I tapped the taped end down on the ground to pack it tight. After putting it in the oven at 350 deg for about 15 minutes they were like rubber. I was able to bend them into the shape I wanted with just my hands. I then dipped them in cold water and they were perfect. No crinkles, kinks, or flat areas. Based on the fact that I had the piece of pipe and sand in my son's sandbox, they were free.
- Steve

Last edited by Steve Smyly : 11-10-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Nicholas Ranney

Profile:

Hey fellow ring makers, seems like everyone has the same ups and downs. I have an up. My rings were made from used 3/4 inch PVC, no sand, heated on the grill over foil. I bent them over a 5lb weight plate and dipped them in water. Some flatening and grill marks but ok with some sanding and tape. So heres the up, to finish the ends use a hand held burner or gas stove (sustained open flame) get 45 degree elbow fittings, fit each end while hot, one at a time. Use PVC primer and glue to secure each end. Trickey part: fit one end than glue let dry this stuff is flamable and the fumes are really bad (outdoors, kids away) once it is all the way dry, 24 hours do the other end. There is just enough bend to pull it out,add glue and get it back in. These things are bomber, there is nothing inside no rope,webbing or otherwise. I have had 250lb firefighters bouncing, swinging and hanging on these with no problems. I do muscle ups, dips, pull ups, push ups no issues with the rings. And the webbing/tie downs sit in the angle of the elbow, sweet.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I applaud the effort put in on homemade equipment, but rings were one iten I had to splurge for. It's 80 bucks, but I've spent more on worse..