CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
As I understand it, CrossFit workouts target neuroendocrine response, and "traditional" bodybuilding workouts target glyco-something response. (I'm thinking of a workout that isolates a group of muscles and dictates something like: three sets each of three exercises; four to six reps; two minutes rest between sets.)

If these two training methods target different biological responses, could they be combined without interfering with each other or causing overtraining?

This may be taboo to say here, but appearance is one of the major reasons that I train; so I guess I'm looking for a best-of-both-worlds workout.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Welcome aboard Neill!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good. In fact we are determined to look a certain way, it's just that modern society alienated most of the population and if I may say so, "deformed" them.

I can't get into a looks debate, simply because I know next to nothing when it comes to measurements or "Beautyfying" techniques. (The term isn't meant to be sarcastic).

I can tell you one thing though. Crossfit will make you look the closest to what you're supposed to look. i.e. If one of your goals is harmonious muscle development than crossfit will do it for you. Monster Biceps, rattlesnake veins, and freaky body fat levels don't come with the package though.

Try Crossfit out, and I'm sure that as you obtain the looks you want, your focus will shift to an even more exciting goal!

Other-Than-This-World Performance!!!:biggrin:
Old 01-02-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I believe that Coach posted a heirarchy of muscular development according to type:

1. Bodybuilding w/steroids
2. Crossfitting w/steroids
3. Crossfitting w/o steroids
4. Bodybuilding w/o steroids

If you aren't using steroids, Crossfit will actually help develop muscle faster than bodybuilding. I know, in my time bodybuilding (nearly a year), I gained 5 lbs. VERY weak. Since starting Crossfit and Paleo'ing (about 3 months ago), I've gained about 15 lbs of muscle, and my performance has gone through the roof.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
This is something I posted shortly after starting Crossfit.

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I sent this e-mail to Greg and Lauren but I thought I should let you all know my thoughts as well.
Here it is:

I feel like an IDIOT. I have been doing the workout of the day for about a week and a half and it ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKS. Man am I ever humbled. I thought I was in shape. HA! For real, I have been at the same shape for about 2 years and in just a week and a half my arms are swelling and the skin is melting off my abs. I know this BY FAR is not the most important thing, but to us semi bodybuilder types, it definitely is an encouragement. Thank you so much for putting up with me and letting me stick around. I hope to become a productive contributor to the forum.

God Bless.

Jeff Reiser

I hope this helps!