CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-13-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Nick Martinez

Profile:
Hey everyone,

I've been doing the crossfit workouts for about 6 months and have gotten great results. My problem now is that I am training at a pro wrestling school, and getting bigger (ie bodybuilding) is the order of the day. Twice a week as part of the school curriculum we do crossfit type workouts anyway, but could anyone suggest a marriage of the two systems that could allow to achieve my goals while getting adequate rest?

Nick
Old 04-13-2003, 11:16 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hey Nick!

coach has montioned elsewhere that the Crossfit method will yeild superior results for BB if one is drug free and only marginally less if one is on drugs ( we are talking sheer size here). It may be tough for your workout partners to grasp but doing exclusively a crossfit regemine WILL produce incredible results. Diet and crossfit will bring the mass AND performance.
Welcome and good luck!
Robb
Old 04-13-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Nick Martinez

Profile:
Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to go strictly Crossfit and see what happens. My only concern is that there are no arm exercises in the crossfit workouts, and while I realize that they are not needed for our type of fitness, I do }need the size and definition that comes with these types of movements.
Thanks
Nick
Old 04-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Considerr the development of most gymnasts...that is what I have experienced from crossfit...it should be plenty!
Robb
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
Coach

Profile:

Without illegal exogenous hormonal therapy (steroids) the biggest arms come from pull-ups and dips. Curls and tricep extensions don't deliver the goods without the sauce.

Nick, get your pull-ups to 40+ and your dips to 55+ and you will approach the genetic limits to your arm's natural-capacity for mass.

P.S. Nick, I would be tickled to hear about your school and how they are using CrossFit - greg@crossfit.com

Coach
Old 04-14-2003, 09:52 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Coach, question for you on pull ups and dips. In your experience is it common for someone to have significantly stronger dips than pull ups, or vice versa? Eg. for whatever reason I seem to be genetically inclined towards dip/handstand strength. My max dips (both weight and numbers) at my peak (I'm getting back there) were pretty insane, but my max pull ups never reached the same levels relatively. Also in the same vein I had an inverted cross on rings well before I could do a standard iron cross. (same muscles really).
Old 04-14-2003, 10:42 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roger- I have always been MUCH stronger on pull-up vs pressing movements.
Robb
Old 04-14-2003, 11:07 AM   #8
Nick Martinez

Profile:
Speaking on pull-ups, From the time I started going to the gym in the 9th grade to the present, my pull-ups have ALWAYS been poor. I know that the way to get your pull-up reps to increase is to "do more pull-ups" but are there any techniques out there? One I've heard about (but, ofcourse, not acted upon) was to do 3 sets of max pull-ups every day, with each set being spread apart by about 4 hours. Anything else? I'm a little skeptical about using the pullup/dip machine that provides weight assistance (the name of this machine escapes me right now) as it only delays the inevitable-doing pull-ups at your body weight.

Nick
Old 04-14-2003, 12:29 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Nick-
Look a few days back at the link provided w/the WOD...there are two great rescources there.
Robb
Old 04-14-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

I think discrepancies in pulling / pushing strength are pretty common.

I've always been able to do a decent number of BW dips . . . even when I couldn't do a single pull up.

I can now do 10-12 pullups (thanks to CrossFit), but my dips are up in the mid-20s range, maybe more, if I was motivated enough.

(Interestingly enough, I still can't bench a very big 1RM, though.)

Dave