CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
Roger Brogan

Profile:
To the wonderful CrossFit community any the many experts here:

First off let me complement Coach Rippetoe on his fine books. Practical Programming is the best book I have read on weightlifting hands down. I love the straight forward no nonsense approach. It is clearly written and quite precise on designing the programs. My ignorance of the topic does leave me with a few questions.

First, is there any guidelines for rest periods between sets. I realize that too little rest will not allow the work sets to be completed thus robbing the lifter of the correct volume for stimulus. However, what is too long of a rest? Shorter rests also have more of a met con result, as I believe. Should that be totally eliminated as it might affect the strength training effectiveness?

Second, in Practical Programming it states that if you are able to do 15 pulls/chins you should add weight. Then in another area it states that if any of the 3 sets are above 10 reps you should add weight so failure occurs at 5-7 reps. It then also says that you should alternate weighted with unweighted. It does not state a progression of weight though. Maybe 1-2 pounds each workout or is that too aggressive? Any elaboration on this topic would be appreciated.

Third, I have been reading about CrossFit for months and am very excited about trying it. What I have not been able to find is a way to monitor over training. In Practical Programming it is quite obvious to when you hit your limits. You can complete the work sets or you can't! Miss them a few times and you need a back off period. I am puzzled on how to do this with CrossFit as each workout is different. How do you detect over training in CrossFit? One protocol is half intensity every 4 weeks and a week off every 16. But that is just a guess or estimate and it may work or may not work for me. Another answer is let your body tell you. I am afraid I cannot do that yet as I have no real bench marks to compare against.

I would love to find the Practical Programming model for CrossFit! Maybe that could be a new book or a CF journal article.

Fourth, what is the correct way to combine Practical Programming and CrossFit and/or should they be combined? I have read about black box ME but I still do not have a clear idea how to monitor possible over training and I am not sure how CrossFit workouts will affect the Practical Programming model.

I would love to hear Coach Rippetoe's ideas and/or comment on this.

Any comments, suggestions and/or recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Roger
Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Hi Roger,

you have a lot of questions, but let me just make one suggestion, and that would be just to go ahead and get started working out with the WODs (workouts of the day). a lot of questions will be answered that way. it sounds as if you are pretty new to weightlifting/exercise, so I would say just experience it for a while. you'll find out pretty fast what your limits are.

specifically, you want long rests with all weightlifting - like at least 3 minute and more like 5 minute for heavy compund lifts. 6 or 7 minutes is probably too long-- you'll start to cool off.

can you do 15 pullups in a row? if not, don't worry about the weighted progression for now. if so, almost any progression will work at first. i can usually add weight that averages 1-2 pounds a week to my weighted pullup. kind of depends on a lot of factors like training status, etc.

managing work and recovery is an art that takes practice. 3 weeks on 1 week off is a proven method that works for a lot of people. if you are brand new, you might not be performing enough work to merit that reduced volume week.

how about some more information about you and your training status. the answers you will get here depend a lot on where you are already.

best of luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Roger Brogan

Profile:
Andrew,

Thanks for the prompt response. Here is more info about me. 35 years old. About 190lbs and about 18% bf according to a little electric hand held device. I have been weightlifting on and off since I was a teenager. On and off being working out for a year or 2 and then taking about the same off. The last 5 years have been more on than off. I have switched to the practical programming strength training model for a novice. I am starting at novice level because according to Coach Rippetoe I have not ever been on a good linear progression workout routine. I have wasted literally 100's of hours in the gym by not having clear goals and/or routines to achieve them. I am changing that now. I wish he wrote that book 20 years ago!!!

As for strength, these are all 3x5 sets across after warm up. 200lb squat, 180lb bench press, 195lb dead lift, 100lb press. Pull ups BWx10, BWx9, BWx7. I know my dead is low but I am sure it will even out as I continue. I am not pushing it too hard as I do not want to loose form and injure myself.

My goals:
Immediate: Improve strength and even out any strength imbalances. And reduce % body fat.
Next Goal: Improve GPP inline with the CrossFit philosophy. And learn some cool moves like muscle ups, hand stands, etc.

Can I mix CrossFit with the novice practical programming model?

Thanks,
Roger
Old 07-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Roger,

why don't you search for the "black box" programming template on this site.

basically, you do a conditioning day, then a lifting day in which you alternate one upper/lower/total lift, then another conditioning day. then a day off, then repeat. this allows for example deadlift and press one week and squat and bench the next.

your total volume of heavy lifting is somewhat lower than that prescribed by Rippetoe but with this method you would become fit "across various modalities."

alternately, i know a guy who does three weeks conditioning, three weeks strength, but I would think this is more fit for someone well out of the novice range. just something to think about.

your can send me a private message if you want specific advice not broadcast to the world.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
Black box is in line with your goals. I would suggest doing that.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Roger Brogan

Profile:
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice. I will get going on the WODs and see what I can do. Any advice on doing WODs outside with little or no equipment? Maybe on a playground?

Thanks,
Roger