CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Phil Moncel

Profile:
Hello,
Didn't really know where to post this one; 'Community' seemed appropriate...

I have been exercizing all my life and while not a great athlete, I was in decent shape (CFing, running 20K, Olympic distance triathlon, you get the picture).

I was laid off just before Christmas and a period of high stress level ensued. My loosing my job was the last straw in a series of very stressful events in 2005 such as my mom being diagnosed with breast cancer and my brother with epileptic seizures. I have since undergone profound changes and I hardly recognize myself: I started drinking more heavily (beer) and packed on 20lbs, started to be uninterested in working out... The relationship with my wife also got strained as she was getting on my nerves even though she was pretty much behaving as usual. Plus, I have had no patience with the kids lately.

I am 37 (38 in July). Could I be going through an early mid-life crisis? How do you go back to exercizing like before? My motivation is at zero right now.

If anyone as gone through such a time, I'd be interested in hearing your testimony.

Thanks much!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Phil--
My wife and I have both lost parents in the last few years; also we had some serious unexpected career changes.
Cancer, drug abuse, and alcoholism have taken their toll on a few of our family as well.
All these things are really rough, but we pray and go on.
Sometimes it feels like a kick in the stomach when you get really bad news, but hang in there.
Besides, mid-life crisis I think is brought on by our own thoughts and is a "self-inflicted wound".
Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Phil,

I did / am going through the same thing almost to a 'T". I will post and send you an email. I just can't do it right away. Hang in there it sucks but it will get better.

Joe
Old 04-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Phil,

I know I'm a mere 26 but the last year has not been great due to a variety of factors and I'll list a few things and now I'm back on track.

I was doing pretty good up until the late spring last year with training, I had been experimenting with CF but still doing my regular bodybuilder routine and then a couple of things hit at once, my grandfather died of pancreatic cancer, my then-fiance told me she wasn't sure if she wanted to get married in May like we had planned along with moving to the DC metro area to be together. So after a few weeks I basically told myself ok it's ok not to get married we'll just keep doing the IL to DC thing for now and when my son was born I'd thne maybe move to IL if I could find a decent paying job there.

I saw her in May as we had planned anyway and she told me she did want to get married and she was sorry it was the pregnancy hormones/mood swings. At this point she wanted to get married but not move until after the birth of my son (July). A week later she tells me she doesn't want me to go back to DC without her and wants to move (at this point I had stopped looking for a house/apartment weeks ago) so in the space of 2 days we pack up all her stuff along with my 2 stepsons stuff put it into a truck and move out of her place. We drove from IL to the DC area with and frantically search for a place.

Those first few months were hard with the her and the stepkids trying to adjust to their to new life. Along with remodeling the condo that we got at the last second (it was a bit of a fixer upper). Then the end of the pregnancy, at this point I was lucky to workout once a week. (2-3) months so once a week turned to 0 times per week. I was trying to get to work by 5:30am so I could be home by 2pm and take the stepkids out to do summer stuff while helping my wife with the newborn.

I didn't start training consistently again until September and even then it was 4-5 times a week if I was lucky. Then the holidays and wham back no training in a blink of an eye.

Now in April with things around the house remodeled and the stepkids more adjusted and the baby older I have finally begun training 5-6 times a week consistently for 2 months now. I've found that working out makes me less stressed out from everything else and that in turn makes the stress level of the house go down a bit also.

I read this quote recently and it made a lot of sense to me and I had never thought about it quite like that before.

"Your body can't differentiate between stressors. Stress is like water from hundreds of taps flowing into a bathtub. Financial stress, relationships, health, and training stress are all different taps. When all the other taps are flowing full blast, turn down the training tap a little bit so your tub doesn't overflow." -Alwyn Cosgrove

My suggestion is to get outide or the gym or the track or the pool and get to cranking. It is torturous at first but you may find that it will help decrease how much the stress affects you and that will help things at home with the wife and the kids also.

Best of luck and I hope this helped a bit.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Phil:
Adapt or Die!
That’s your own quote. You don’t want to die or throw in the towel. If you did you would not be here talking to us. So that’s tells me already that you are a fighter.
• Hang in there (patience)
• Pray for strength and guidance.
• Train when you can as often as possible….this will be a great emotional release valve.
• Create game plans for yourself that are obtainable. Plan them out for over the next few months and few years and work steadily towards achieve them….baby steps one at a time.
• Keep a note book or PDA with you and write down every time a good idea pops in your head that can be applied towards making your life better….it worked for Leonardo De Vinci and other great thinkers. (Well De Vinci probably did not have a PDA but you get the point.):happy:
• My personal suggested readings:
o Unleash the Warrior Within- Richard J. Machowicz
o Unbeatable- Jack Schropp
o Attitude is Everything-change your Attitude & Change your Life- Jeff Keller
o This earlier post which was about another individual who was feeling down and some of the suggestions that were given. http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/20378.html

Keep in mind; that if your wife will stick with you, then that will be the best anchor you can ever have. It worked for me and still does. If not then again, there is always the man upstairs.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
Bill Ripley

Profile:
Phil,

If you are the reading type check out one of the "Passages" books by Gail Sheehy.

Also, if you can I would heartily recommned talking to a professional therapist. I am just now coming out of the back side of the same kind of experience and that has made all the difference in the world.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Phil,

I am in a similar situation. I resigned from my job in October of 05. My father is in the middle stages of Alzhiemers. I just turned 37. The job had caused tons of stress on me, my family and especially my wife. I felt that she was not supporting me. I was an angry a-hole and short with my kids (2 and 4 years). They were just being kids and I wanted them to be something else. After I quit things were better, but not much. I was still an a-hole and things started to be bad. I was seriously worried that I would be divorced if things did not get better. I felt horrible about the way that I acted towards my kids. I was also worried about depression. We gutted out the Holiday job hunting doldrums. I talked to a doc about depression and that did not seem to be the problem. I only drank occasionally, because I was the one that took care of the kids most of the time. I think if it wasn’t for my children I would have hit the bottle. I also noticed that when I blew up at my wife or kids I would be ashamed and angry with myself afterwards. But, I would vent that shame and anger at them. Bad circle. I have found shame and guilt can make me act very stupidly (anger).
I went to career counselor and we talked. It was very helpful. I was taking the failure of my last job out on my loved ones. I was taking the failure (shame) as completely my own and not seeing that it takes two to tango. It seems obvious, but it wasn’t at the time. Prior to talking with a counselor my wife had talked and talked and talked, but it didn’t help. We were just too angry at each other. It helped a lot to be able to talk to adults other than my wife. I do CF and started the Zone diet. I was going through the motions but not really getting anything from it, at the time. I just couldn’t really keep my mind in it and as you know CF takes some focus.

So after that drama…

I have done A LOT of self investigation, praying, talking to adults and what not. I have found that talking to some one other than your spouse can be helpful (maybe that is why bartenders get an earful), I am also seeing a psychologist (I really want to fix this), the St. Francis prayer helped me (if that is good for you). I TRY to realize when I am ashamed of my actions and not take it out on my loved ones. I think now that I have my head screwed on a little straighter (not all the way, yet) I have improved my relationship with my wife, kids, and the weights. So much so that people have commented on it. That tells you how much of an out of shape jerk I was.

Post on the board. Everyone here is very helpful and supportive. I see you live in Paris so a phone call could be spendy. Email me if you want just chat or ask questions.

Good luck and hang in there.

Later,

Joe
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I'm eighteen and I have no way to even fathom what you're going through right now. I can tell you, though, that a huge reason I like to train is to let out anger and pain. It's intensely therapeutic.

I'm praying for ya, bro. Good luck. ;D

-Kevin
Old 04-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
paul arestan

Profile:

So is life.
Nothing can be taken for granted, nothing is permanent and everything is always changing.
My younger brother fought a tough battle against cancer for 3 years and I spent terrible days waiting for my mum to call and give me the latest bad news.
During this period of time, I divorced, moved, left my job and started my own business.
Recently my brother's situation degenerated and I had to rush back home (I live in Australia but my family is in France, 10000 miles away)and got there just before he passed away, at the age of 27.
During heartbreaking period of my life, exercise was what kept me sane and I actually exercised harder.
Now, I am back on track and working on different projects but I am not the same person and never will be. My priorities have changed and I realise what is really important: Love, family, close friends and to make the most of what I have now because nothing will last forever.
Hopefully, I am now a better person, wiser, more patient and more loving and I wish all of you who are going through tough times will feel that way.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:55 AM   #10
Phil Moncel

Profile:
Thank you all so much!! I did not expect so many responses; I am overwhelmed by your support and friendship.

I will check out your suggested readings and other suggestions. I will also talk to a doctor/social worker as some of you have done or suggested.

Thanks again!!!