CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Assuming anybody wants to hear about it, I took a 2nd place in todays strongman comp. Missed out on first by 1 point. This was due more to a tactical error on my part than anything else. For the log press, I did 220, 240, then as a long shot tried 270. Got it above my forehead, but couldnt lock it. So, all I got credit for was the lift at 240. If I had stuck 255-260, which I would have, it would have more than made up for that 1 point.

700lb tire flip, did okay but didnt win. This was for distance. I do better when its for time. The more powerful guys start flipping it quicker, but run out of gas quick also. This time the distance was short enough that even they didnt run out of gas.

Truck pull, this event was too light and too short. Did well, but a heavier truck and a longer pull would have separated the men from the boys.

Deadlift for max weight
Totally blew this one, though I'm not surprised.
This was actually done off of platforms, 18 inches high. If anyone can explain the logic behind this, I'd appreciate it. Anyway, the two VERY obvious juicers(who also happened to be the shortest :-) ) did 800lbs, with most guys in the 750-775lb range. I did a measly 600lbs.

The lifting medley was the final event and the one I was counting on to win. Fortunately I did.
A 225lb anvil, 100ft one way, 2-160lb implements, back to the beginning, 100 ft., then a 440lb sled, plus chain, again 100 feet pulling backward. I did this in a shade over 30 seconds. This event was also too easy. The anvil was a good weight, the implements should have been atleast 200lbs a piece, and the sled could have been quite a bit heavier. Had this been the case, once again the men would have been separated from the boys.

If anybody is interested I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Eric Moffit

Profile:
its great to hear you talk about the events and wish they were harder:

"A 225lb anvil, 100ft one way, 2-160lb implements, back to the beginning, 100 ft., then a 440lb sled, plus chain, again 100 feet pulling backward. I did this in a shade over 30 seconds. This event was also too easy"....hahahaha...awesome.

youre the man, Steve.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
David Birozy

Profile:
Congrats! Quite an accomplishment!
Old 08-27-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Steven - What you are calling too easy I am thinking in my head as I read your description that they are not just hard, they are stupid hard. Who in their right mind would have thought such things possible, let alone too easy? There is not a single event you did that I could complete, or even begin to do let alone do quickly. Amazing feats all. Great work.

Absolutely yes on the pictures. Your accomplishments are rapidly becoming the stuff of legend.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

...measly 600lb deadlift... :crazy: a little over twice what I can pull.

Congrats Steven, once again... keep 'em coming.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:03 AM   #6
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
i'm keen for the pics steve
Old 08-28-2005, 03:35 AM   #7
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Awesome stuff Steve. Add my vote to request for pics.

Cheers, kempie
Old 08-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Do you need any more votes to see the pictures?

Great stuff, Steve. Congratulations!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Steven-
I love when you post this stuff. Keep it up, and pictures are great, too.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Thanks guys

Honestly, Eugene, I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. If you can DL or squat 350lbs, which most CF's can, you could probably do farmers walks, along with flipping one of the big tires. One of the sanctioning bodies in the States is NASS. They run comps according to experience, with weight classes and age classes. Very similar to any other sporting events.

I'm finding that lots of guys show up at these events, expecting it to be purely a test of their limit strength. Most often they go home humbled. There is a huge metabolic component to these comps which gets overlooked. Even in the Big leagues, with guys weighing well over 300lbs, its most often the best athlete that wins the day, not necessarily the most powerful man.

Crossfit enables your metabolic system to withstand the short duration, max efforts of lifting, pushing, pulling, dragging. Also I find the multiple modalities that crossfit trains are a big help in events like the "medley". With some extra training, like the ME days, and some event specific training, you're in the house!!

Pat
Apologies if I sounded like a jerk with that statement about my DL. The point of that was, our DL's were off an 18 inch platform. I've never seen or heard of that before, but I understand that its not that uncommon. To give you an idea, I at 260lbs have never even come close to doing a double bodyweight DL. In the low 4's is my best so far. So, conservatively speaking, this platform added 150lbs to my DL, possibly more.
Could I have done 600lbs out of the hole???
NOT EVEN CLOSE
I only meant that 600lbs was pretty measly compared to the other guys doing 800lbs. But like I said above, these events are about more than simply limit strength. Power endurance is a huge factor!!