CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
John Arthur Spear

Profile:
About 3-4 weeks ago while doing "Diane" I noticed a tweak in my left side lower back while doing the deadlifts. The days following it was extremely sore and I could barely bend over to put on my socks/tie shoes, etc. Over the last several weeks the back felt better (although still more soreness than normal--especially in the mornings--and I did notice some slight tingling down my left leg which I've never felt before), and I was able to do the WODs intensely. Well, feeling somewhat better, I attempted the CF Total today to "test" the back. The squats and press went fine, but while warming up for the deadlift I noticed the same tweak in my back and now the same pain afterwards. I've never had any serious back injuries/pain in the past (other than normal soreness after heavy DLs that goes away in a few days), so I'm unsure of what I've done? Any ideas on what I may have done to my back and ways to care for it going forward? I read some of the other posts on this board relating to bulging discs, etc and it looked like there are many home remedies that are helpful. Just not sure what constitutes a serious enough injury to seek medical attention? For the most part it seems as if I can still do the WOD, just heavy DLs are out for the time being. Also, by way of note, I have had several knowledgable folks observe my DL form in the past and seem to think I'm doing okay in that regard. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #2
Yael Grauer

Profile:
When in doubt, go to the doc/chiropractor/etc... That's my rule of thumb...

I had a similar problem recently... nothing severe, just back soreness after deadlifting. Myofascial release on my QL helped a lot (I bought a myo-release ball but you can use a tennis or lacrosse ball I guess), as did lightening up a bit and making sure I am engaged through my midsection and keep my form intact. You may want to check out Eric Cressey's "Mastering the Deadlift" articles on T-Nation. Good luck.

(Message edited by treelizard on July 09, 2007)
Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
John Arthur Spear

Profile:
Yael, I'm not familiar with the myofascial release on QL you speak of? Is it something similar to using a foam roller? Good advice on engaging the midsection. When doing high rep DLs (i.e. "Diane"), I have a tendency to forget this, which is probably what caused the injury in the first place. I'll check out the T-nation article as well. Thanks again.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
It's kind of a hard area to hit with a foam roller. I use a myo-release ball but I guess a tennis ball or something would also work.