CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Ron L'Huillier

Profile:  
Just a note for others who may have a similar experience as me. I used to Powerlift back in the 80's. When I was seeing the doctor for a shoulder issue he also told me I was crazy for deadlifting. I recall in my youth hurting my back substantially and so I accepted the Doctors advice and quit deadlifting. Over the course of the next 15 years my back got worse and worse. I finally recalled that when I was deadlifting it seemed to help my back issue. Soooo I began to deadlift starting at reps with 185. They were painful but I kept with it and eventually worked up to the point where I thought I'd try to compete again.

Results = after about a year I entered a WABDL Deadlift competition in St. Louis, MS and set a MI State Record in my age group and weight class (242 - 47-53). I pulled an easy 529! I am now training for a meet in Lansing, MI in July where I hope to get close to 600! The bottom line is if I continued my Doctors advice I'd be limping around right now like I was 100 years old. With the deadlifting my back has not felt this good since my 20's. I am now almost 50. Sooooooo... take the Doctors advice with a grain of salt! Do not blindingly accept their opinions. Much of the time they are right, but they are often wrong!!!!

RE: http://www.wabdl.org/michigan_dead_lift.htm#MI%20Dead

(Message edited by gr49525 on May 24, 2006)
Old 05-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Paul Symes

Profile:
Congrats on the success

I'm glad to hear it as I've been suffering with a sore back for a couple of years and am sure lifting makes it feel better. My Dr has advised against it.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Ron,
How often do you DL?
what percent of max, sets, reps?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
A great example of why I love my doc. When I turned 35 I asked him about continuing "heavy" deads (over 400, I weigh 180). His response, "Do you experience any pain?" My reply, "no." Doc says, "Then I wouldn't worry about it."

Congrats on the great lifts! I'm shooting for 500 by the end of the year.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
That's a great lift.

I've always called that the "hair of the dog". If your back hurts, work it. Obviously disc problems and whatnot play in to that, so don't be dumb, but I don't see how a strong back can be inferior to a weak back. I've hurt my back three times, and it didn't get better any of the three times until I started deadlifting again. I've always liked stiff-legged deadlifts too.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Ron L'Huillier

Profile:  
Craig,
I deadlift every other Friday. I cycle leading up to a meet. I do heavy singles, then drop down and do reps with about 75% of max off of a 45 lb. plate. I also do a lot of hyper work, both regular and reverse. I also do heavy seated inlcide leg presses with nearly 1000 lbs.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Ron,
Thanks I was curious about frequency. My story sounds much like yours. I had back injuries years ago and unfortunately "rested" my back for about 15 years. You can probably guess that it coninued to be as or more painful plus really weak after that much neglect. I was still active and always lifted, but did all of the "back friendly" stuff. BIG MISTAKE! About three or four of years ago I started gradually doing good mornings, light DL, heavier squating, RDL by back has been improving slowly as it gets stronger. I am up to 2x bw and hope to push it higher.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:36 AM   #8
Ron L'Huillier

Profile:  
Thats great Craig! Everyone is different as to frequency. I have a friend who is a world champion Powerlifter. He deadlifts every week. He is kind of a freak though. He deadlifts close to 750 lbs at 42 years old. If I tried deadlifting every week my back would not like me much. On off weeks though I do assistance work like lat pulldowns, good mornings, lots and lots of reverse and regular hypers, and of course the much dreaded ab work.

Be careful as you add more weight to the bar. Listen to your body... if your back is sore take a bit of time off..... GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!