CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Theron Mathis

Profile:
Just checking to see if this has happened to anyone else, and if I should be concerned.

Today after the WOD. I did a modified version of Thurs WOD. 400 meters, 15 pullups, 15 95# push press for 5 rounds. It took about 25 mins.

About an hour after my vision went kind of funny, especially my left eye. It wasn't blurry but the edges were not very crisp and kind of saw stars around the edges. It's hard to describe. It went away in about an hour, however, I did take some ibuprofen and ate dinner. It's happened twice before about three months ago.

Should I be concerned?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #2
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Theron,

since you did not receive an answer from anyone else, I will jump in.

As to my limited knowledge (I am just a normal guy, no medical professional), this sounds like a blood sugar level thing. Hyperglycemia (too much blood sugar - highly unlikely I would say) or hypoglycemia (not enough blood sugar - that could very well be, depending on your nutrition status before training). (Another possibility might be too low or too high blood pressure, or problems with blood supply to the brain, but I don't see a reason for that so long after the exercise.)

I have experienced a similar thing once after a long hill run in the morning when I did not eat enough / not the right stuff (was in a hotel). About two hours later, in the middle of a customer workshop, I started to sweat and got visionary field exclusions with little stars in it on the outside of my vision field. I got something to eat (nuts and raisins), and the symptoms promptly disappeared.

Did you eat before exercising? After? What? How much? Did it go away after eating? When?

Should you be concerned? As long as you don't have determined the exact cause of this problem, yes, if it happens regularly, I would be concerned and ask my house doctor. BTW, that may be a good option (hint).

Cheers,

Christian
Old 01-24-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
Theron Mathis

Profile:
Christian,

I think you are right, as soon as I ate. The symptoms started going away. I have had problems with hypoglycemia before but nothing serious, so I have not paid attention to it.

Thanks for the confirmation and knowing someone else had something similar. Your description is identical to what happened to me. I was a little worried because my BP is normal. It did force me to get it checked on a more regular basis. Thanks alot.

BTW, your trigger point stuff has been a miracle for me. I was getting in pains in my right butt for a long time and then it would radiate into what I thought was the hip joint. I found a couple of trigger points and work them periodically, and it is amazing.