CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Here is a clip of me trying out the AF Pull-up Bar in Crossfit Boston as few weeks ago. I had just finished my first FGB. The bar really well made and easy to set up.

My kip is not the best (I am carrying about 20 extra pounds), but the bar seemed to make it smoother than when I use a standard pull up bar. It seemed more forgiving...

Attached Files
File Type: email Josh AF BAR.mov (724.0 KB, 264 views)
Old 10-16-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
Josh,
Have you tried it yet for the lifts?

We used it for the first time in our class and absolutely "loved" it:furious0:

We're having a hard time find decent chains...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
John -

I tried it for some cleans, walking lunges, waiter's walks, and some presses. I will see if I can find a video of it. It really works stabilizing muscles and the imbalance it creates makes all the movements that much more difficult.

As for the chains, I was looking at my local Home Depot the other day and they did not have anything heavy enough. Maybe Lowes...
Old 10-18-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
Jon Gilson

Profile:
John and Josh,

Look for 5/8" zinc-plated tow chain. I use two thirty foot lengths. The weight of the entire system, including the AF Bar, is approximately 70 pounds when you use these chains.

If you find that this resistance is inadequate, you have a couple of options. One, purchase smaller lengths of chain (about 4'), and attach them to the larger chain using springlocks or carabiners. Experiment with the placement.

Higher placement of additional chain will add more load to the beginning of dynamic movements, while lower placement will add load to the end.

Alternatively, note that the bar is hollow. The endcaps can be removed, allowing you to fill it with additional resistance--i.e. rebar, lead shot, sand, etc. For a real trip, try ball bearings. It starts to sound like a thunderstorm everytime you lift it!

Best,

Jon
Old 10-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Ted Williams

Profile:
Is there another thread about this bar? What's the deal with it? Do tell....
Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Ted,

Now that you mention it, the AF Bar thread was eaten by the Archives about a week ago!

The Again Faster Bar is a portable pullup bar. I developed the Bar a few months back, and now I sell it through my website http://www.againfasterequipment.blogspot.com.

The Bar was invented out of necessity--I needed to do pullups outdoors, and had no good way to make it happen.

The AF Bar can be attached to any horizontal span using the included lashing straps--trees, beams, rafters, etc. It's can be leveled nearly anywhere, as each strap can be adjusted independently.

A few CrossFitters are using the setup indoors, as it mounts to studs using included I-bolts. There is much less damage to the walls than a fixed bar tends to cause. I know at least one of our fellow athletes has it set up in her living room!

The Bar has also proved useful for training O-lifts, waiters' walks, squats, and presses. The design allows you to attach chains, giving the Bar a dynamic load under tension. The principal at work should be familiar to anyone who has used chains in a powerlifting context. Right now, I'm not shipping the Bar with chains, hence John's query about finding them. He purchased a Bar during the Boston Certification.

A few folks inquired as to the suitability of the Bar for kipping--it's very possible, and perhaps easier on the shoulders than a fixed bar. I posted a (sideways) video of kipping on the Bar. You can find it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djF-2LLBko0

I custom fabricate every bar--they now have a beefier suspension system than in the past, utilizing bigger spring clips and straps than the prototype you see in the video and in my avatar. The new version went out to Boston Cert attendees.

The Bar goes for $60.00 plus a $15.00 shipping charge. I'll send it just about anywhere.

If you'd like more details, shoot me an email at jon@againfaster.com. Hopefully, some past purchasers will chime in with their experiences!

Thanks for the support!

Best,

Jon
Old 10-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Y'all know that the Archives are readable, searchable, and post-able, right????
Old 10-19-2006, 04:38 AM   #8
Jon Gilson

Profile:
I do now! Thanks Lynne! I was under the impression that archived threads are closed to new postings. It turns out, the warning reads: "New threads not accepted on this page".

Me not so bright sometimes. :bangin:

The old AF Bar Thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/30119.html

Best,

Jon
Old 10-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
Ted Williams

Profile:
No offense, but as great a resourse as this board is, I find the archives lacking in the intuitive display of info department. Thanks for the info Jon!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:13 AM   #10
Jerry Hill

Profile:
OK,
Jon's bar has been sitting in the box for 2-weeks - I've been crazy busy. Broke it out today and let me say; it is Awesome! The Bar felt amazing in my hands, was easy to set-up and I hit a solid 25 chins with a 40lb weight vest!

There have been questions about kipping on it and what not - as promised I filmed my first experience with it. I plan on using it 1-2 times a week in hopes of hitting a big number on it in 6-weeks.

Here is the YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1XlxWYxSOM

Great product Jon!
Exactly what I was looking for.
The no-brainer was who I was buying it from.

Strength and honor,
Jerry