CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Laurent Huor

Profile:  
Hello all,

I am interested in learning OL but don't have a coach near me to teach me. I figure the next best thing would be to learn from DVD or book of some sorts.

Waht titles do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Laurent
Old 02-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Laurent,

Crossfit recommends the World Class Coaching vids:
WorldClass Coaching LLC
PO Box 5141
Norman Oklahoma 73070
(405) 321-8060
Fax (405) 321-8119
E-mail: wccllc@telepath.com

That said, there is no substitute for in-person training. Get down to one of the clubs around Seattle (looks like a couple hours south?) It makes all the difference for a pro to see what you are doing. If you can't do that, use the digital coaching section. For me, Oly lift progress is seeming to come in spurts; nothing, nothing, nothing, BANG! repeat. Be patient. Best, John
Old 02-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
Laurent,
Visit us at Mt. Baker CrossFit in Burlington. If you need directions email or call me at 360.661.1393. We are 30 minutes south.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
I ordered the "Explosive Lifting for Sports" DVD from the USA Weightlifting website. I think it's fantastic. Lots of slo-mo, detailed instruction and lots of suplemental lifts to go along with the 2 lifts.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:38 AM   #5
Tom Needham

Profile:
Hi Laurent, I ordered the World Class Coaching DVDs from Crain's Muscle World (only place I could find them). They got the DVDs to me quickly.

http://crainsmuscleworld.com/specialtyvideos.html
Phone # 1-800-272-0051

World's Most Powerful Lift - "The Clean" - $29.95
World's Fastest Lift - "The Snatch" - $29.95

They are great IMO, lots of details, quality filming, and very technical!

Also, I've to think that the new Dan John DVD must be awesome too...
http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/store/...d&productId=15

(Message edited by bertbondy on February 22, 2006)
Old 02-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Laurent Huor

Profile:  
Thanks everyone.

I will consider all the products you guys mentioned and will purchase one that is within my spending range.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:32 AM   #7
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Hi Laurent,

I am currently working with Jim Schmitz's manual and DVD "Olympic Style Weightlifting for the Beginner and Intermediate Weightlifter", ordered from http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1203 .

The quality of the information on the DVD is outstanding, very good coaching, almost feels like a series of clinics.

What I also like very much is the structured approach to the lifts - you have several "programs" (1-7, with 1-3 being the "learning the movements" programs, moving from easy movements to the harder stuff), and the movements are explained/shown along the programs by Jim. That way, you build up your skills and strength very systematically. Jim also explains a lot of details about lifting in general.

You can read another review of this tape at http://sfuk.tripod.com/reviews/ol_schmitzvid.html .

Cheers,

Christian
Old 02-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
I have to strongly second Christian's recommendation of Jim Schmitz's tape and manual. The WCC tapes have great info, but Jim's tapes are a better "teaching" tape, because he addresses a lot of beginner issues and questions, and gives ways to progress thru the problems.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
p.s. ALSO, I would be remiss if I didn't urge you to go and see Skip Chase at Mt. Baker CF in Burlington. There is nothing like hands-on coaching!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
The World Class Coaching tapes are great instructional videos. They break down the movement into components and use lots and lots of repetitions of the various movements and components.

Another fine video is the Weightlifting Encyclopedia Video Companion from Art Dreschler. Very information dense just like the WLE book.

Dan John's video is geared toward a non-technical approach to teaching the lifts. Gives you some simple tools to get into the lifts quickly.

Tommy Kono's Weightlifting Olympic Style book is a must have...even though it is not a video, it is a requirement for your bookshelf.

Jim Schmitz's training video is very nice and gives practical routines and exercises. He is one of the more knowledgable coaches out there.

For inspiration, get Iron Mind's Bulgarian training hall tape. It is truly amazing action, it gives you an appreciation of how fast the elite can move.