CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-30-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Jeff Griffin

Profile:
I was just looking at the Weider olympic plates at sears. I was noticing that the plates were very loose on the bar. It looked like there was about an eighth inch gap or so all the way around wich made the plate pretty wobely. Is this normal or is it just not of very good quality. Also the chrome bar seemed slippery and the knurling wasn't that good. Is it just an oil they put on the bar or is that the way the chrome bars are. I was concidering getting this set because of the good price. All the really nice solid rubber sets that are recomended are pretty much out of my budget but I'm tired of using a standard weight set. I need to move up to the olympic set. What do you think???
Old 12-01-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Dan Freda

Profile:
I notice a little "battle rattle" in all of the olymipic weight sets I have used over the past 9-10 years. A little is ok, but a lot is not good. You might want to try a sports store for a little better selection, but you may find the same set at that sports store. You may be able to find better knurling or less rattle. The prices might even be comparable.

There might be a protective layer of oil applied at the factory, but I can't confirm that.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
It's poor quality. Cheaper plates tend to have a bigger hole because that way they don't have to worry about tolerances and plates not fitting. And in the U.S. this tendancy is at it's worst. You see, some bars use a 50mm sleeve (1.9685 inches) in accordance with international specs and some U.S. bars have a 2 inch sleeve. So the cheap U.S. plates tend to be made to fit easily on a 2" sleeve, which means they have a lot of slop.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Tom Needham

Profile:
You also can find great deals on weightlifting sets/equipment on your local craigslist.org Maybe even bumpers and a nice bar for what you'd pay for a cheap set that is brand new?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Clay Jones

Profile:

Jeff, the Weider stuff they sell at Sears is pretty low quality, and the bar is not great. But gee golly, the plate colors sure are purty! Look on Craigslist, Play it Again Sports for used equip., or else order new from BFS, I think quite a few CrossFitters have ordered from them.

The economy olympic plates from Ivanko are also pretty good--not rubber coated but they are a decent quality plate. they will not fit a cheap 2" bar though, as they have 50mm holes.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
Karl Geissler

Profile:
First of all, I apologize for not being around for a couple of days.

Secondly, Crossfitters can buy Olympic plates at 20% discount from Gill Athletics. Feel free to call me after December 5th when I return. The toll free is 800-637-3090.

Karl
Old 12-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #7
Dan Freda

Profile:
Didn't BFS offer a discount?
I thought I saw it was discontinued, but not sure.