CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-21-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
Brad Griffin

Profile:  
I am making my final purchases to complete my CF Fitness room in my home. I have installed rings, punching bag a half cage with 2 Olimpic Bars and Hampton plates. For cardio I have a treadmill and spin bike (Revmaster). I am looking for a used C2 rower. What I need now are medicine balls. My wife likes the ones with grips offered by First Place, Everlast and Cor. Perform Better is offering to send me an 8lb Core ball for free if I buy 3. I have seached the message boards and did not find any comments on these medicine balls with grips. I have ordered a 20lb Dymamax because I see it in many videos.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
Tom Needham

Profile:
Hi Brad, I don't have experience with the Cor medecine balls. But one other med ball that does get used sometimes in the WODs is the D-Ball http://www.d-ball.com/individual_balls.html

The yellow ones are great for slam ball, and are a good complement to the Dynamax ball.

There's a great video on Mark Twight's Gym Jones that uses D-Balls ... Check out "Balls" http://www.gymjones.com/video.php
Old 11-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Brad-

We offer the double handled Core balls, but they are not necessarily right for Crossfit training. I like them when I am doing triple extension types of throws, but the handles are really hard. I believe I have an ongoing thumb injury from catching one during a workout session.

D-Balls (slamballs) are available through just about anyone, but you should order true Dynamax medicine balls.

If you need anymore help, please feel to call me (800) 637-3090 or email kgeissler@gillathletics.com
Old 11-22-2005, 03:08 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Quick question regarding D-balls vs Dynamax:

Is there any reason I couldn't do wallball or other throws, etc, with a D-ball? I am debating getting a D-ball and/or a Dynamax, but don't think I need both. I found the D-ball on sale so I am leaning that direstion.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:20 AM   #5
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
The Dynamax ball is easier to catch on the wall ball rebound, especially the heavier balls. The soft leather lets you trap it against the chest without beating you to death.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
The d-ball is harder and doesn't bounce much. That is why we use it for ball slams. The dynamax doesn't hold up to ball slams over time when used by lots of folks but are really awesome for throwing and catching in the air. I would suggest both. They are very different.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
Ryan Heck

Profile:
Andy - D-ball's on sale??? You said the magic word.