CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-31-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Nikki Young

Profile:
I'm sure there is another post on this somewhere, but the search engine comes up with everything non relating and i'll be looking for hours... so anyway

I'm wanting to make a set of (don't know what that are called) to do L-sits(?). Most of the ones i've seen in pics displayed by people on here look like they have been made out of piping. I was wondering what the general height of them should be?

While im at it. does anyone know of any link (here or on the web) that has other equipment that can be made. Such as box's for box jumps and stuff (already made one!)

Old 10-31-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Tom Needham

Profile:
Hi Nikki, you're talking about paralettes. There are instructions for building them in September 2003 CrossFit journal (#13) and also you can check out 'em at Roger's site ... http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond

The ones from the CFJ I built are about 12" high.
I think that the higher the paralet bars are, the more room you have to sag without hitting the ground, which could be better for L-sit newbies. Also w/ higher bars there is more room for bringing your legs through while working on other gymnastic progressions like an L-Sit to Handstand.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
Awesome, thanks Tom :happy:
Old 11-01-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
Doug Ralston

Profile:
Nikki,
My favorite site for DIY gear is http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/. This is the site that led me to CrossFit about a year ago.

I just noticed that Aptdweller has recently updated the site.

Doug
Old 11-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Dan Koloski

Profile:
Nikki,
I'm new to CF and have been browsing the boards to gain info and understanding. I have a suggestion for your box jumps request. Machinists use something called guage blocks, or 1-2-3 blocks. These are blocks of solid metal which measure 1" by 2" by 3". Gives them easy ways to measure common dimensions without using a ruler. One block gives three different dimensions depending on which side you lay down. Use the same concept (I'm going to) when building ply boxes. Make the plyo box 1 foot by 2 feet by 3 feet, or maybe 18" by 24" by 36". Gives you a step height of 3 different heights with only one ply box. Look at the photo from the Nov 3 CF website. In the background is a structure made by using 2X4 lumber. Just cut them to the desired lengths and stack, glue and screw.
Regards,
dan
Old 11-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Dan,
Just be careful, you could have a serious stability problem at the high end. Guage blocks are not used for dynamic stuff, and need no real stability. I tipped a box once and came down backwards, suffice it to say, it hurts.

Now if you built a drop in wide base for it, you might have something!
Old 11-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Dan Koloski

Profile:
Frank,
Thx for the comment. Certainly the highest "setting" has the smallest footprint. I was trying to be too concise perhaps, but now to expand a bit, I intend to build two boxes of identical size. When using the highest "setting" I'll butt two boxes together, doubling the footprint for stability. I'll put a piece of plywood on top with some simple way to lock all three pieces (2 boxes and one top)together. Safety first should certainly be the primary consideration when building gym equipment.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
Nikki Young

Profile:
Thanks for the advice. Dan, i already build the box before i read that info, thanks anyway though.

I just got home from making some paralletes :happy:

What should i make next???

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/15816.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/15817.jpg
Old 11-05-2005, 03:28 AM   #9
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Nice box! and nice pair!

(crossfit has got to be the only place i'd get away with saying that to a woman without getting slapped.....)

Can you believe I went to a huge hardware store today to get the stuff for paralletes and they didn't have what i needed!

I had to settle for getting dynabolts and a drill to mount my rings to the roof of the garage.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:32 AM   #10
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:
Nice!

I've just made some Paralettes myself.
best $14.00 I spent in a long time.