CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Joe Hasse

Profile:  
I'm a member at a local "24 Hour Fitness." They live up to the "24 Hour" part just fine, but between the counselers, and "trainers" giving me faulty advice, and the hulks of machines littering the floor (not to mention the complete lack of rings, climbing ropes, and medicine balls.)

I'm planning on building a home gym, where I can be free from the meddling of trainers, fratboys doing halfassed curls, and motivational posters of people who excersized, and gone from morbidly obese to just fat.

So far I have an olympic bar with 300lbs, a 100lbs heavy bag, a jumprope, a bicycle, and some little odds, and ends.

Next weekend I'm going to make some rings, some parallel bars, and a medicine ball.

The rings I'm planning on heating up some PVC pipe in the oven, bending it around a paint can, and running the rope through it. (is there anybody whose done this, and can give me some advice.)

I'll fill a basketball with sand to make a medicine ball. I suppose I can use the excess to fill a sandbag.

And I found some plans to make parallettes on the net (http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond)

I have a few questions.

1) Does anybody have plans on making a box? I have an idea in my head, but some plans would be nice.

2) How high should a wall ball target be? we have a brick wall that's about 12 feet high, should that be tall enough?

3) What would you all recommend for a climbing rope?

4) Anybody have plans for a wall mounted pullup bar? Like the box, I have an idea in my head but it'd be nice to have something to compare to.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
When making the rings, I would suggest that you fill the rings up with some sand before you put them in the oven (and tape them on the ends), this way when you bend them around the paint can it will help reduce the flattening of the pipe. I didn't do this the first time, but I then redid it this way and my rings are now much better.

The wall ball target need only be 10 feet high.

For climbing rope, check the links in the FAQ http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm#Equipment1. Otherwise, I would follow the instructions on
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/12623.html that's what I did and it works perfectly.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 AM   #3
Brad Williams

Profile:

I got my rings donated by a local high school. I started calling schools in the area until I found one that would give me their rings. It turns out that due to liability reasons ring work may not be done in PE classes where I live.
Great rings for the right price...
Old 11-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Tom Needham

Profile:
Jon, most (all?) of the wall ball exercises I've seen (a la Fight Gone Bad) use an 8' target. 12' target would be tough, but cool for Yao Ming.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
For PVC rings, sand w/duct tape is a must. 10 minutes at 350 will do the trick. Also, make sure you use a big enough paint can. If it's too small you'll have an oval that will be uncomfortable for you to work with because your hand won't fit.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
James R. Climer

Profile:
you can cool the rings faster by having a quench pool of cool water nearby, once you have the ring in its desired shape, put it into the water and voila, they're solid again.

A regulation size men's basketball (rubber) will try to weigh more than 20 lbs., (mine is 23.5 #) and a women's size is smaller, so I suggest adding some lightweight sawdust in with the sand to fill the ball up but keep the weight down. I've seen where folks have used a rubber patch on the hole, but I just cut the hole as small as needed to fit the funnel tip in and dry play ground sand flowed pretty easily. I stuffed a strip of old terry cloth half-in, half-out of the hole and tightly wrapped the entire ball in a whole roll of duct tape. I even used the Homemade med ball for ball slams onto a stall mat and it worked like a champ.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:
Also, you can get a pair of 12' long "lashing straps" at Wally Mart for about $7.00, they work perfecly as quickly adjustable ring ropes. You'll have to thread the strap through the pipe hole of the ring by first fishing a leader thread through and attaching it to the strap.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Joe Hasse

Profile:  
The plan James described for the medicine ball sounds more sturdy than What I envisioned.

What's the purpose of the sand in the PVC pipe? Does it even out the distribution of heat? (I guess baking the pipe in the oven wasn't my idea.)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
James Falkner

Profile:
Sand in the PVC helps keep the cylindrical shape of the PVC as it is bent into a circle. Without sand it would flatten out during the bending and ultimately be more uncomfortable on the hands when you use them.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
James R. Climer

Profile:
you can forego the sand and heat the pvc for a shorter length of time, provided you use gloves and shape the tube to roundness as you wrap it around the mandrel (ie paint can, or in my case two ten pound weight plates of 8-inch diameter), the flattening occurs more the softer the PVC is, and the flatter the mandrel.
By the way my math says Pi times diameter = circumference therefore, 8 inch diameter times 3.14 is about a 25 1/8 inch length of pipe.