CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #41
Larry Engle

Profile:
Re: Poorman's Rings

After reading about making poormans rings, I thought I would accept the challenge. I went to home depot but they were out of 1-in sch 40 pvc and play sand. I went for the 1-in sch 40 electrical conduit instead (plus it has uv protection built-in and was a bit cheaper.

Got my animals watering dish that has a 7.5-in diameter and then cut the pipe to length. Taped the ends with duck tape (please use plenty as I found out that it wasnt good to scrimp). I filled the pvc pipe with cat litter (unused since it was going into the oven later but let that be your decision). Set the oven to 350-degrees as advised by others. Placed the filled pipe on aluminum foil and set the timer to 10 minutes (later adjusted it to 13 minutes for better bending performance). On the first pipe I didnt get it work out as well as I liked so I sent it back to the oven again and got good result the second time (longer cooking time).

I threaded 1-in nylon webbing 16-ft long thru the rings and then looped over the holding bar. The webbing has a metal clamping attachment to allow for different take ups.

At the end of the day, are they as good as the "Elite Rings". No way. I have the elite rings and they are primo. However, using these rings in harsh outdoor conditions seems fine.... My elite rings are too nice and thus stay inside.

My thanks to all you experimenters.....
Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #42
Matt Hulett

Profile:

I just made a sweet pair of rings by sandwiching 2 pieces of plywood and using a router and circle cutting jig to cut them out. I then rounded over all edges. They turned out great, they were free, and easy to do if one has or has access to the tools.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #43
Mathew Johns

Profile:

Just posting a quick thanks to all involved with this thread. Had the day of work today so made up a pair of rings. My oven wasn't large enough to do it the way everyone recommended so I headed out to the garage and found an old heat gun. Worked better than expected once I figured out to only heat and bend a short section at a time.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #44
Tim Newsome

Profile:

I just want to add to the list of success stories here, and say "thank you" to everybody who's contributed to this thread.

I cut 18" pieces of 1" PVC. Filled them with sand. Duct taped up the ends. Baked for 10 minutes at 350F. (Note that the duct tape melted a bit where it contacted the cookie sheet they were on. I'm glad I covered the sheet with aluminum foil first.) Bent them around some 10 lb plates (8" diameter). Then I ran a sturdy chain through 'em, used a carabiner to attach them to the tree slings from my slackline setup, and hung it all from the pull up bar at the local park.

Ring dips are way harder than the push-ups/bench dips that I've been doing so far. I'll have to work on those...

Tim
Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #45
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Right on! I'll be making a pair once I get ****ed adjusting my black elite rings...especially once my garage is built...
PVC...so that's the white stuff eh? I like makin' the DIY equipment...it's like the WOD...you swear a little bit during, but there is a reward at the end!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #46
Bryan DiNunzio

Profile:

I just finished my poorman's rings today, I used all the suggestions that everyone had posted, filling with sand, taping the ends etc, all great ideas. I did find a way to keep the pvc from flattening out too much. Once you have heated up the pvc and are molding it around a cylindrical object take multiple sand bags, bags of kitty littler or dog food and pack them around the ring, this will hold the circular shape and free up your hands to press down and massage out any fat spots while the pvc cooling down. Warning the pvc is very hot and retains the heat longer if filled with sand, you will definitely need to wear gloves or oven mits while doing this, I used my firefighting gloves and still felt the heat through them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	3674
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1170  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	4337
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1171  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #47
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:

I would like to make some as well.

can you get the adjustable straps for these at Home Depot/Lowe's/Ace? What are they called?

Did you all put the rope in the PVC pipe before heating and shaping them? What kind of rope do you loop inside the pipe?

I am thinking to put hooks in the ceiling, one for each ring, about how far apart do you place them?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #48
John Edmondson

Profile:

Kulsoom, yes, you can get the straps at any hardware store. They're called tie-down straps. Get the "pull strap" variety rather than the ratchet type. Good instructions for PVC rings can be found in the FAQ (and a wealth of other essential nuggets). If you're handy, you can perform a search for instructions on constructing wooden rings. I have both, and they're both great, though I prefer the wooden ones. Use at least 1/2" eye bolts to secure them to the ceiling and be sure not to drill the pilot holes too big. Spacing will probably be determined by the spacing of your ceiling joists or roof trusses (typically 16" or 24" on center). Many have lag bolted a 2x6 to the ceiling and attatched the eye bolts to that (perform a search for pictures), in which case spacing is not an issue. The rule of thumb for ring spacing is the length from your elbow to your extended fingertips. My rings are secured to the ceiling joists which are 16" on center. This is a little less than the rule of thumb, but it hasn't been an issue. Hope this helps.
Best, John
Old 01-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #49
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:

Thanks for the reply John. I do not think I have enough skill for the wooden rings. I might even go for the half circle PVC ring (so I don't have to heat and shape them). What would be the item to look for which is what is being used to go inside the pipe, knotted at the end and then attached to the strap?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #50
John Edmondson

Profile:

For my pvc rings I ran 3/4 braided poly rope through the rings, tied it off, and tied the excess into a loop, through which I ran the straps. So the rope is really just a coupler between the ring and strap. Others I have seen used 3/16 or 1/4 steel cable, tied off with cable clamps. Either way is fine, and you can find either in any hardware store. If adjustability is not an issue, you could just run the rope (or cable) through the ring, tie it off, and run the excess all the way to the ceiling. Mine are adjustable to dip or pushup height, while the wooden ones stay at muscleup height full time. As for making the "half rings", I would strongly encourage you to give the teardrop shaped pvc rings a go. They're really easy and you'll have legitimate muscleup-worthy rings in an hour. Just make sure you pack the sand tightly.