CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
Parth Shah

Profile:
simply use the random number generator for this.http://random.org/nform.html
Attached Files
File Type: doc Workout.doc (22.5 KB, 582 views)
Old 10-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
William Winger

Profile:
I've actually found it easier to set up a system in excel, then you can use the embedded '=rand()' function, and especially use formulas to show you exactly what workout you've 'rolled'.

The good thing about this system is, if you pay enough attention to detail, you can have the next day's workouts' relative probabilities be dependent on what you did today. [i.e. if I did bench press today, the chances might be .01 for incline/decline tomorrow, .09 for military press tomorrow, and .9 for 2000 meter row... etc.]
Old 10-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
William, could you explain furhter? I'm not that experienced with excel.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
William Winger

Profile:
I've actually switched over to Linux, so I use OpenOffice.org for my spreadsheet/word processor needs. I've attached a simple example in both .ods and .xls format, I'm not sure if excel can open the .ods, but conversely I'm not sure if the usability was lost in my conversion to .xls... (the syntax if different for if() statements).

Basically, the idea is that you can have numbers representing the relative weights that you want certain types of (or specific) workouts to appear in the long haul, but you don't want to schedule everything out in painstaking detail...

So ascribe everything its relative weight once, and then use a '=rand()' function to generate a random number between 0 and 1 (if you multiply by x ['=rand()*x] you get a random number between 0 and x), then use this to decide your workout for the day. If the random number is less than the aggregate relative probability then you perform that workout.

Let's say you have three type of workouts (there are four in the samples I attached):

Upper body, Lower body, and Cardio.

Let's say you want double emphasis on lower body over upper and cardio, so the relative weights are:
1-upper body
2-lower body
1-cardio,
which scales to:
.25-upper
.5-lower
.25-cardio,
now we add each in order to describe a probabilistic distribution:
.25-upper
.75-lower
1-cardio
so now the difference between lower and upper is the scaled relative weight we want lower to have.
if our random function kicks out .3 we would do lower body work for the day. If .7 it would also be lower body, if .1 or .9 we'd do upper or cardio respectively.

The point is that overall we would do 2 lower body workouts for each upper body workout and cardio-specific workout. ...I hope this is making sense.

So that's a really simple example which wouldn't take long to implement.

In the samples the stuff above the grey is an implementation of what I just described, it kicks out 'prescribed' workouts according to the distribution given.

Below the grey is the next level of complexity, the same four choices exist, but I have a different probability distribution for prescribed workouts in each case depending on what I did yesterday (or most recently, or today, depending on what frame of reference you have).

So this can reflect the desire to do more lower body work on days after upper body work. Or the desire to avoid oly lifting workouts the day after cardio etc.

And you can make it much more complex from there...

At one point I had a list of 30-35 different types of workouts (varying from chest-bench press to chest-weighted dips, knowing me...), each with their own probability distribution for what should follow.
Attached Files
File Type: email SpreadsheetWoDRandomizer.xls (69.5 KB, 446 views)
Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
William I have been thinking about writing a shell script that would randomly generate a wod and have a cron job that would run it daily and post it to apache.

So have a different db for pulls, pushes, legs, abs, back, some mebb and cardio and randomly pull 0-3 elements from each combine and post. Or maybe have a cgi on a web page that would generate it on the fly. The really nice thing about this is you could have something truly random that you could tailor to your needs.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
William Winger

Profile:
That's an advantage for sure Kevin, the option I posted was intended for personal use (I used it for a while, but now I just make it up as I go). Either method is good, but I haven't done anything approaching the crossfit scope, plus, I'm not convinced crossfit's method is purely random, there seems to be a great deal of underlying order, it's just on a slightly larger scale than usual.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to WODs
Old 10-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Parth Shah

Profile:
i'm sorry william, i do not understand ur system. I simply generate a number from random.org for each category. I'll first generator a random number for the workout (1-19) then, based on that, I'll choose a number for the exercises. I've found it works very well and mimics crossfit. The reason I can't do crossift exclusively is because of lack of equipment, space, and skill level.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Just get set of those uber-multisided Dungeons and Dragons type dice. :-)