CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-19-2003, 03:42 PM   #1
mark a. blakemore

Profile:

In regards to traveling and doing WOD, what if you don't have access to a well stocked gym? I will be in Atlanta and Minm/St Paul for two weeks on business and am unsure of the accomodations. I may try to take a 1 pood kettlebell and hope I don't get sideswiped by security. Any thoughts?

Mark
Old 08-19-2003, 04:16 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Hi Mark,

I will be taking a kb, parallettes, rings, running shoes and my homemade medicine ball during my weeklong vacation up north in September. All items are portable and take up no space. No TV, no computer, no work, no chores - I figure I can come up with agonizing routines to do crossfit proud during my break! :crazy:
Old 08-19-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Mark,

Don't forget about the prison workout that coach posted on the main page a few weeks back:

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~aelliot...rt_prison.html

The prison workout requires no equipment and is a great workout.

Also, if you at least have access to a pull-up/dipping machine or if there are pull-up bars anywhere near (e.g., as part of one of those outdoor fitness courses), you can throw in the 100 Pull-Ups/100 Push-Ups/100 Sit-Ups/100 Squats WOD we did just yesterday.

Of course, if you can take some equipment along, as Kelly suggests, all the better.

Mike

Old 08-19-2003, 05:23 PM   #4
David Heyer

Profile:
When traveling, Most hotels have crappy fitness centers. So I carry a quality backpack with a few never leave home without items. Such as: A jumprope, A door mounted chin bar, A cheap Kmart ab-wheel that is easy to assemble/disassemble, parallettes, but my favorite piece of equipment is a thick ten foot rope. A rope is a very versitile piece of equipment. It can be used for: rope climbing, modified pull-ups, jumprope, 1-on-1 tug-o-war, pulling stuff, etc. with little space needed.
The backpack itself could also double as a kettlebell, sandbag, small heavybag for striking, etc. Just fill with rocks, or stuff with clothing and you have a portable gym.

Kelly,
Did you ever see a Tornado Ball? You could make one similar to the medicine ball with an old basketball, sand and/or heavybag stuffing, a thick 5-6 foot nylon rope and duct tape. Cut two slits on opposite ends of the bball, tie a knot in the rope and push it through the ball. Fill and tape generously. I'd keep it under 15 lbs. though. I'm working on mine now. I'll have it done probably this week. I have to sneak down into the basement every few hours for a couple of minutes to work on it because my wife gets mad at me when I spend too much time with my "toys".
Give it a shot.
Dave
Old 08-20-2003, 01:37 PM   #5
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Hi Dave,

The tornado ball sounds interesting, but I haven't a clue what I would do with one! Do you throw it or kick it or swing it?

Your idea about packing along a rope is great. I wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
David Heyer

Profile:
Tornado balls are great for developing the core. There are many exercises you could do with one. Swing it with one or both hands around the body (overhead). Stand with your back to a concrete wall and smash it off of both sides. Sit or lay on the ground and do the same. Swing it with one arm on the side. Hammer-throw with one or both hands. Sit-ups, smashing it on the ground between your legs and over your head (fun and dangerous). Chopping like action (simulating an axe/sludgehammer) smashing it off of the ground or other object. The exercises are practically limitless.
I probably will use it as much as I use my homemade clubbells. That is about once in while just to have some fun and do something different. I'll do more chopping and throwing with it than anything else.
Check out Paul Chek's article http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=33
Old 08-20-2003, 02:46 PM   #7
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Dave,

Thanks for the idea of the rope. I'm getting a friend started on CrossFit and she can't do pull-ups, but throwing a rope over something and having her at least pull on that for modified pull-ups is doable.

Jon
Old 08-20-2003, 02:55 PM   #8
David Heyer

Profile:
Jon,
Glad to help out.
Dave