CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Bill Ennis

Profile:
Hi Everyone;
My first post to Crossfit . I have a question re today's WOD. I have been scaling the WODs and wonder which scaling method people think is "better". My usual scaling method at present is to cut the WOD in half , either weight for lifting or reps. What are peoples thoughts as to the better way to scale .
For example, today , should I cut the clean weight in half but maintain the reps OR maintain the weight and cut the reps ?
I'm 46 and have been doing Crossfit for about 3 months and am slowly increasing my intensity level.
I appreciate anyone's thoughts.
Bill
Old 08-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Cut weight and complete reps IMHO. Form practice cannot be emphasized enough. If you do not have perfect form, you'll never do it correctly at higher weights.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Julie Cleghorn

Profile:
Hi there,
on the topic of the wod. How are the weights determined for Male and female athletes. I have always wondered this, as it seems to me the Males weights are more do-able than the Females, just interested on how this is worked out.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #4
Bill Ennis

Profile:
Hi George and Julie;
George- I agree 100% about lowering the weight and "perfecting" form before increasing the weight.Many of these lifts I've never done before and I've educated myself watching the videos over and over again. Also , at 46 years of age I don't want to get injured and be out of comission for a while. I've loved doing Crossfit the past 4 months and view it as a long term project over the ensuing years/decades.
Julie- I don't know how the weights are determined-I know there was a Crossfit journal sometime back that dealt with the methodology of Crossfit , but I haven't read it so I don't know if weights were addressed.
Bill
P.S. What do you think of the avatar my 16 year old daughter made for me ?