CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
I'm just about ready to begin leaning out again after gaining ~15 pounds this summer. I'm not sure of the muscle:fat ratio, but hopefully I made some decent gains. I just want to check up on a few things before restricting calories so I can prevent as much muscle loss as possible.

- The Zone diet helps you loose weight by:
1. Restricting carbs to only what you need to replenish glycogen, and have a low enough GI to stave off insulin spikes, hunger, and fat retention.
2. Keeping the protein adequate to support your LBM and balance out the carbohydrates, but not enough that your body becomes inefficient with handling protein.
3. Keeping fat high enough that you have what is necessary, but low enough that the "calories from fat" you would usually burn in a day come from adipose tissue rather than dietary fat.

- Loosing alot of weight rapidly makes one prone to loose significant amounts of muscle. So it is best to not restrict your calories by 2000/day very suddenly.

- I'm currently taking 80 blocks of fat per day, so I'm going to have to cut that back to get the calorie deficit I need. However, I don't want to drop back to 2x fat because it took me a LONG TIME to adjust to digesting that, and it was not pleasant! So, could I go one day at 40 blocks, then the next day go to 70 (what I estimate is matainence), and keep rotating like that? This would give me my calorie deficit slowly, and prevent my body from loosing it's ability to digest all of the fat.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I would think that going back and forth would cause issues, but I'm no expert. Of course, in the grand scheme of things, that's only 400ish calories of fat difference (if you're counting 1.5 grams as a block) or 800ish if you're counting 3 grams, which you probably are, so yeah that is a big difference.

I dunno, for me, I've been maintaining weight eating a decent size bowl of Breyers Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough at night, and eating zone every meal besides that.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Wow. I hadn't noticed the major calorie difference between 2x and 3.5x...