CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Aaron Schupp

Profile:
3 sided plyo box

Rogue and Again Faster have a 3 sided plyo box. Which is a great idea. Not only saving you money, but space as well. My question is about the sizes. Why 20", 24" and 30"? I know the 20" and 24" are typical sizes for the guys and girls RX WODs. But I feel like in my gym a 16" box for girls is used far more often then a 30" box would be used for someone. So I was just wondering if at that size the box is studier and needs to be that big, if 30" is more practical then the 16", or what? Obviously Rogue and Again Faster know what they are doing. I'm not questioning them. Just wondering if a 16" x 20" x 24" would be good for our gym or if there is something I'm missing. We made our own slant sided plyo boxes for the gym, but I'm not carpenter. So didn't know.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Re: 3 sided plyo box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Schupp View Post
Rogue and Again Faster have a 3 sided plyo box. Which is a great idea. Not only saving you money, but space as well. My question is about the sizes. Why 20", 24" and 30"? I know the 20" and 24" are typical sizes for the guys and girls RX WODs. But I feel like in my gym a 16" box for girls is used far more often then a 30" box would be used for someone. So I was just wondering if at that size the box is studier and needs to be that big, if 30" is more practical then the 16", or what? Obviously Rogue and Again Faster know what they are doing. I'm not questioning them. Just wondering if a 16" x 20" x 24" would be good for our gym or if there is something I'm missing. We made our own slant sided plyo boxes for the gym, but I'm not carpenter. So didn't know.
I think it would be more to challenge you. At my school weve got a 20, 24, and 30 inch box. When my coach gives us the wod, hell usually say 24 inch but if you want to push yourself then go 30. I dont know if any mainsite wods have ever used 30 however. I was at CF Toronto once and there was a 36" box, although there was only one so maybe its more for fun...
Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Alex Keller

Profile:

Aaron,

It is not a matter of the 30" side making the box sturdier. If you are looking for a structural reason, the only that I could come up with is that the bigger side makes the box more stable. However, we have developed a 16x20x24 box for exactly the reason you mentioned and it is still plenty stable, especially since you are substituting out that 30" side.

We don't have it up on our site yet, but if want a quote you can PM me. All of our boxes are made by Aaron Cawley, a fellow CrossFitter here in Austin, TX and they are bomb-proof!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
William Henniger

Profile:

We built the original Games box with the 30 side because those were the three heights they needed for the 2010 Games.

We have considered making a 12/16/20 to cover the smaller end but the 12" side is not enough to sit on for the other heights. A few gyms have built their own boxes and have had them tip with those dimensions, that is our biggest concern.

We do however have a 30/40 box that is pretty sweet but a pain to ship!

Bill
Old 08-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Aaron Schupp

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback.

Alex, good luck with the new business. I hope it works out well for you. I don't think I'll need a quote at this time. One of our members makes a lot of our stuff. And since he does business with us, I like having the opportunity to repay him and send business his way.

Bill, thanks for taking the time to get on and answer my questions. I don't personally know you so I hope it's cool that I call you Bill. You guys at Rogue definitely do a tremendous job with your products.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
William Henniger

Profile:

No problem

If any of you are ever in Columbus, stop by we are building an awesome gym for all to checkout.

Bill
Old 08-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Alex Keller

Profile:

Thanks Aaron. I would be wary of going any smaller than 16", for the stability of the box.

Bill, if you buy me an airplane ticket, I would love to stop by!