CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Starting strength: really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Wright View Post
I also feel much better than I have in the last two years or so of doing mostly met con with the occasional strength day thrown in.
Yeah. This too. I know that not everyone has the same experience, but I went from being constantly sore for an entire year to rarely being sore. Ever. Now, if I complain about being sore, it is really something minor. I don't ever have those days where I have to think about how much it is going to hurt to go up and down stairs or roll out of bed.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeMoss View Post
Thanks Tamara. Clarification is helpful. I was just looking for reassurance that I'm not going to just get fat without the strength.

I guess one reason (I start officially tomorrow) is that the few weights I've done this past week (deadlifts, squats, cleans) leave me feeling good, but not as completely "spent" as hard conditioning, which is what I've done for the past year. I know there is warmup, but 3x5 work sets for 3 movements/day, 3 days/week is significantly less effort than I've been used to putting forth. But I suppose that follows, as I'm now trying to GAIN weight as opposed to losing it (past year). And yes, I'm pushing myself on the weights.

I'm thinking one reason I might be now weaker than I remembered is because I metabolized a fair amount of muscle during the past year, as I lost weight. Possible.
What TC said, plus remember that more isn't better, better is better. Doing too many sets or reps would create a big stress that you would necessitate longer recovery time to allow the strength adaptations to occur. The benefit of something like a 3x5 with a steady progression of weight is that you're getting your work done with a reasonable number of heavy reps/sets, a number that's low enough to allow you to recover and come back stronger in 2-3 days for the next squat day, but high enough to create a hormonal and systemic stress/adaptation that actually accomplishes something. Think of it like you're gradually increasing your tolerance for a medicine (or alcohol) over time by ramping the dose up bit by bit. Your body will adapt to that gradual increase better than if you suddenly spiked the dose with a volume or frequency you weren't ready for.

Back to your original question, no, 5000+ calories isn't a requirement for SS or any other strength program. But you will get stronger faster and recover better with a caloric surplus. Then when you've made your strength gains and want to lean back out, it's easy enough to do so by cutting those 2500 GOMAD calories out. I hit a high of 217lbs (started at 185lbs) doing 70s Big about 18 months ago, then got back down to ~200lbs pretty quickly once I cut out all the milk and started doing OPT's programming in preparation for last year's sectionals. And I've put on another 10lbs without too much trouble over the last few months doing GSLP and eating more.

And as David pointed out earlier, GSLP may be a good option for you if you're looking for sustained strength gains without having to put on a lot of soft weight. Right now I'm past all the weights I was lifting on 70s Big last year without really nearing a stall point, and I weigh about 10lbs less than I did then.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Troy Becker

Profile:

http://www.****************.com/arti...n_rippetoe.pdf

I think it's WFS... Didn't read the whole thing, seemed that way.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Troy Becker

Profile:

Oh already, type in "s t a r t i n g s t r e n g t h" without spaces between the letters where the *s are.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
Michael Dowling

Profile:

coming from a globo workout routine programs like SS and 70s big did seem like significantly less volume than i was used to too. for example on chest and triceps day (this was done twice a week) i did bench 6 sets up to about 3 rep max, incline bench 6 sets up to a 3 rep max, dumbbell flies 4 sets, cable cross overs 4 sets, dips 3 sets, tricep press downs 6 sets, barbell overhead extensions 4 sets, kick backs 3 sets sometimes close grip bench or a few other exercises thrown in there.

so when i started doing a 5 X 3 of squats, 5 X 3 of presses or on deadlift day a 5 X 1 and out the door i was like "this is a joke"... but once the weight piles up it gets difficult in a hurry, a 5 X 3 of 225 on bench was harder than anything else i've ever done on bench in the past, and on deadlift day i would rather be basically anywhere else than there.

as for food, if you're already pretty big you don't need to hammer down 5000 calories a day, just eat till you're full, for me i eat about 3500 calories a day, at one point i was eating considerably more but i cut it back because i was getting too fat.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 06-27-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
John DeMoss

Profile:

thanks, that's encouraging. how long did it take for the workouts to feel intense? (and it had nothing to do with a softening mental state, did it?)

I am used to anaerobic interval training with bodyweight for a good 35 minutes. great for burning fat and a ton of max effort, especially mentally.

i guess if my numbers are going up, that's what matters. we shall see. i am curious how much "other" stuff is OK to mix in without compromising the program. This could be either after lifting or on "off" days. Was thinking it might be possible to not lose all of my metcon.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
thanks, that's encouraging. how long did it take for the workouts to feel intense? (and it had nothing to do with a softening mental state, did it?)
i would say week 10 it started getting really interesting, i was hitting PR's before that but at week 10 the weight was getting real heavy and a 5 X 3 of squats and bench just destroyed me. once the weight gets real high (for you) it requires a much higher level of intensity than i ever had doing my globo routine. at least for me it did.

as for mental getting under a bar with nearly 300 lbs on it sure took getting used to. i won't lie and say it wasn't intimidating at all.

i've had to set my squat way back to work on depth, somehow along the way i lost my depth and i'm working back up at 10 lbs per session jumps to get back to my 290 work set.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

John, I started week 4 today and for the first time felt like I exerted myself. I really liked the first few weeks to work on form and see how to organize myself for my workout. So far, I am really enjoying this.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #19
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
After having been overweight down to 9% body fat, I am a little nervous. Any thoughts? I am doing it and thought I'd give it a couple months. Just looking for "hey, I did something like that and it worked"
yes, it works, and its fun. the hard part for me was losing the excess once I gained. I put on like 15lbs of LBM in 12 weeks, but the fat suit stuck with me for over 2 years now. its really all or nothing with this one, no wods, met con etc. just lift 3x and eat. I ate like crazy, at the time 32 yo, gallons of milk, filet o fishes and linear progressions that kept going up. its for real, but its a full commitment of diet and restraint from met cons.

Last edited by Chris Puckett : 08-07-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: more talking about milk