CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Exclamation Need a little help with Crossfit

I am currently recovering from a strain so I am out for the count. But the good news is that I found a crossfit gym that is near by and I will start lifting there when I recover. I figure that with your help and the down time I have; now is a good time to aquaint myself with crossfit terminology and routine.

Right before I got a strain I was practicing crossfit on my own accord. I would do things like drag 4 cinderblocks with a chain, march uphill with a cinderblock i each hand, burpees, clean and jerks, kipping pullups, running, etc..

I always looked at crossfit as such: Strength and conditioning through use of body weight exercises, olympic lifts, kettlebells and more.

My questions:

What is metcon? How does it work?

What are the crossfit strength routines? I heard one of them on the forum - 70's Big. I looked it up and there was no explanation for it. All I got in my search were peoples WOD's.

If I planned to create my own workout of the days, what movements, sets, and reps, would you recommend for strength through crossfit?

Would following the websites WOD's be a good way to start getting acqainted?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Need a little help with Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Horrell View Post
My questions:

What is metcon? How does it work?
http://board.crossfit.com/xfitfaq.php

Quote:
What are the crossfit strength routines? I heard one of them on the forum - 70's Big. I looked it up and there was no explanation for it. All I got in my search were peoples WOD's.
There is no such thing a "crossfit strength routines" there are other programs which follow crossfit or similar methodology, or work well in complement to crossfit style workouts. 70s big is just one of those programs, there is no explanation required for it, if you've seen the program you know it is several strength days with a couple conditioning workouts allowed during the week, you could do a crossfit.com metcon (anything for time) or come up with your own workout.

Quote:
If I planned to create my own workout of the days, what movements, sets, and reps, would you recommend for strength through crossfit?

Would following the websites WOD's be a good way to start getting acqainted?
Yes following CF.com or any affiliate website programming would be a good way to get familiar with the style, type of workout, and movements used typically - whether that will help you reach your training goals is totally dependent on where you are now and what you are trying to achieve. CF.Com is certainly not the best program for every person's goals.

Typically as someone new to CF, you wouldn't want to program your own workouts.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

please don't feed the Troll
Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Bryce Horrell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
please don't feed the Troll
Are you calling me an internet troll because I like to discuss/find out information about fitness on the web?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

70s Big PDF (WFS) The rest of the thread is worth reading too.

Metcon is any workout like Fran, Helen, Grace etc. that combines aspects of strength and CV endurance. It's not just lifting and it's not just cardio.

Rather than creating your own program I'd recommend picking an established one that fits your goals. Tried and true is better than fumbling your way through something unless you are very experienced with programming. If you want to get stronger you need to be squatting, deadlifting, pressing, benching, cleaning, and doing weighted pullups on a frequent basis with some sort of logical progression.

Website workouts may be ok or they may be randomness slapped up on a board by a gym owner who doesn't know anything more about programming than what he learned in his Level 1 cert.