CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Departed1

Profile:

Wife starting crossfit

My wife has started doing crossfit with me. of course since she is just starting she scales things quite a bit, but i'm extremely proud of how hard she has been working at it. She says she loves how much variety there is and it's not boring to her, so she's really enjoying it. Real reason I posted, every day when we get done i ask her what she thought of it. usually she talks about the parts she liked, and what was hard. we did fran the other day her only response at the end of it was "fran's kind of a b-word. not as bad as cindy though, I hated her"
Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Wife starting crossfit

its a love/hate relationship.

congrats on getting your wife involved. i have been doing the same thing with friends & family over the past 3 years. its interesting to see who actually has the intestinal fortitude to go all out.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Joshua McDonald

Profile:

My wife has started doing Crossfit workouts with me as well. She likes it a lot more than she thought she would and really like the sense of accomplishment from completing the WODs. She definitely is surprised at how much she enjoys the Oly lifts. I really like the fact that I can talk to her about a workout and her eyes don't glaze over now. Haha.

Last edited by Joshua McDonald : 01-07-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Freakin' grammar
Old 01-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Departed1

Profile:

Agreed. She used to make fun of me when i thought the pictures on the homepage were cool. Now she's the one showing them to me. It's been great.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I've been CF for years, obviously, but I'm going to join the new local box with my gf this month as soon as it opens. It's squarely against my better judgment, but we'll see what happens.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I've been CF for years, obviously, but I'm going to join the new local box with my gf this month as soon as it opens. It's squarely against my better judgment, but we'll see what happens.

Really cannot wait to hear about this.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

lol, went pretty well actually. The box is not open yet but they are doing free Saturday morning park wods for now.

She is grumpy as f*&K in the morning but as long as I don't talk to her its fine. She did the entire workout, walked some and came in last, but whatever. 20 yards into the 400m warmup jog she proclaimed that this was the farthest she's ran since 5th grade gym class! lol

She did her wod, I did mine...i didn't say shizzle to her the whole time. I think this was the key!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
She did her wod, I did mine...i didn't say shizzle to her the whole time. I think this was the key!
I really think it was. I don't want my husband talking to me about my workout until after, and vice versa. So much so that we usually work out at different times, and different ways - he's interesting in GPP, I'm focused on Oly lifting with some metcons mixed in - which sometimes results in us even working out at different locations.

Also, he's always careful to say things like - I've always loved the way you look, you just look different, more muscular, but still awesome.

I married a very intelligent man with a strong sense of self-preservation.

Good luck to all of you with your new workout partners!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I would also recommend a minimalist approach in regards to critique if you are to workout with a spouse. In the gym, I'm usually pretty blunt/clear trying to make someone better and probably too OCD at times finding flaw in almost the flawless technique. This approach works with most people but can backfire with spouses, for us we don't workout together and it lets the other parts of our marriage work out well.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I would also recommend a minimalist approach in regards to critique if you are to workout with a spouse. In the gym, I'm usually pretty blunt/clear trying to make someone better and probably too OCD at times finding flaw in almost the flawless technique. This approach works with most people but can backfire with spouses, for us we don't workout together and it lets the other parts of our marriage work out well.
This. 100% this.