CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Training Plates for Oly Lifts - Where to purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post
Super interesting.
A question for you (at the risk of hijacking this thread): Do you find the need to use technique plates very often?
Oh yes. The technique plates serve the same function as warming up with an empty bar, but with the advantage of being able to start from the floor instead the hang. Plus, less strong lifters use them as a working weight a LOT. Women, kids, beginners, and older lifters get even more use out of technique plates.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I'll make one additional comment about plates in pounds. If a gym starts investing in bumper plates in pounds, they've pretty much locked themselves into to using second-rate Olympic lifting gear forever. I know that sounds harsh but nearly all of the best Olympic lifting gear is available only in kilos. A gym stocked with plates in pounds is a sign to a competitive lifter that this gym is unlikely to ever produce a top Olympic lifter or be host to a sanctioned Olympic weightlifting competition. Most gyms won't invest in a mix of kilos and pounds. They're not going to buy several thousands of dollars of weights in pounds and then buy an additional competition weight set in kilos for just one or two lifters.

For a lot of gyms that's just fine, they're not interesting in competitive O-lifting. But non-competition plates in pounds aren't any cheaper than non-competition plates in kilos. Plates in pounds are harder to use because they come in those odd weight increments. Plates in kilos come in nice, round numbers and are now available from most vendors, thanks to Crossfit. So I'd like to encourage folks in the U.S. thinking about starting a gym to go with kilos. The rest of the world has -- for good reason.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
Thijs Moonen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
For a lot of gyms that's just fine, they're not interesting in competitive O-lifting. But non-competition plates in pounds aren't any cheaper than non-competition plates in kilos. Plates in pounds are harder to use because they come in those odd weight increments. Plates in kilos come in nice, round numbers and are now available from most vendors, thanks to Crossfit. So I'd like to encourage folks in the U.S. thinking about starting a gym to go with kilos. The rest of the world has -- for good reason.
This is an odd thing you say. I was looking to buy a Kraiburg 140 kg training set, nothing to fancy.
I don't know if you once tried to get a hold on such a set, but those are 1. very rare and 2. they do cost alot more than a 260lbs set. (oke there is a difference of 40kg...)
(Maybe it has to do with the thing that I live in Europe)

for the reason of cost, I ordered a pair of 10's, 15's and 20 kg plates, 90kg total. and those are no branded plates. (and those cost me 405 ~ 582 US $ exclusive shipping)
Because you guys in the US calculate with the pound increments, your market is overfloated with pound plates. Even here in Europe where we only use kg increments we can feel the overflowing of that pound market.
It is like the manufacturers of those products think that if you are a person that is interested in kg plates, you also want them tho be calibrated and stuff like that.
Bottom line, a good price/quality ratio on a kg bumper is in my opinion more expensive than the lbs, because of the supply .
Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The market in Europe indeed is quite different than the U.S.

Yes, there is an over-supply of cheap plates in pounds. But in the better quality bumpers, most vendors offer both pounds and kilos. In the best quality bumpers -- competition caliber equipment -- kilos dominate the market.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #15
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I'll make one additional comment about plates in pounds. If a gym starts investing in bumper plates in pounds, they've pretty much locked themselves into to using second-rate Olympic lifting gear forever. I know that sounds harsh but nearly all of the best Olympic lifting gear is available only in kilos. A gym stocked with plates in pounds is a sign to a competitive lifter that this gym is unlikely to ever produce a top Olympic lifter or be host to a sanctioned Olympic weightlifting competition. Most gyms won't invest in a mix of kilos and pounds. They're not going to buy several thousands of dollars of weights in pounds and then buy an additional competition weight set in kilos for just one or two lifters.

I gotta go with Lincoln on this. For a home gym, lbs are fine. However, for an affiliate OR someone who wants to get serious about O-lifts, I would argue for high quality colored kg bumper plates. The colored plates are important to help prevent misloads (and allows for quick visual checking) and the kgs are important for the reasons that Lincoln noted.

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

We used kilo plates only for 1.5 years and now mostly use lbs while the KG bumpers sit in the corner (we break it out sometimes during DL's & etc).

For a CF gym I see no big need of KG's plates ever. Olympic lifting meets - there's plenty around to worry about that. And it's far easier to use with regular folks who can't count in kilos & it's not really worth their time (plus the LBS weights are far easier to add up than kilos, especially considering that everything in CF is in LBS, except for KB's).

And a weight is a weight, I don't see a difference in buying KG bumpers from the same company that supplies LBS bumpers - the quality would be the same.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Leonid, in my experience the nice, round numbers make loading a lot quicker and more reliable. When using plates in lbs. people have to memorize the plate combinations because the math is just too tough when you're tired. And the reason why Olympic bars and plates in pounds come in wierd those 45 lb. increments is because they are really 20 kilo bars and plates in disguise. So the way I see it is you really can't get away from kilo weights even if you try.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

There's been a few things out there... I found some GREAT nylon plates (about 3.5 or 4 lbs each) when I first started Motor City CrossFit in '07, but they've since sold completely out of them (Jesup Gym was the place that had them, and they don't have the info on who made them unfortunately).

Vinny (one of the other owners) recently made another pair by buying some nylon (I think) pizza dishes, cutting off the handles, and putting a hole in the center. They're great, and just the right diameter.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Thanks to everyone for your input on this. All of your thoughts are very helpful. I think I will go with the HiTech technique plates. My main need is to be able to start from the right position (not the hang with the just the bar.) And I need them light, because well.....I am a wimp. No, seriously I am trying to improve my oly lifts this year, and I drill constantly. I want them light enough that I don't fatique too quickly. I have two Pendlay oly bars I got from Glenn a couple of years ago and I have been quite happy with them. Guess I'll go back to him for the training plates now.

Thanks, again!

Lisa
Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Walker View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input on this. All of your thoughts are very helpful. I think I will go with the HiTech technique plates. My main need is to be able to start from the right position (not the hang with the just the bar.) And I need them light, because well.....I am a wimp. No, seriously I am trying to improve my oly lifts this year, and I drill constantly. I want them light enough that I don't fatique too quickly. I have two Pendlay oly bars I got from Glenn a couple of years ago and I have been quite happy with them. Guess I'll go back to him for the training plates now.

Thanks, again!

Lisa
If this is for a home gym and not a crossfit gym, have you considered building your own with 3/4" plywood? Just trace a copy of a 45 lb metal plate on the plywood and cut it out. It's that simple. Each one weights about 4lbs. If you wanted heavier, just screw 2 together. Best part is the cost, just $4-5 per plate.