CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: About to build a garage gym, a few questions about equipment inside...

I'd shift some of the money around and get a high(er) quality bar and squat rack. The c2, while fun really only carries over to... rowing. That would be my last choice. My personal "starter kit":
Olympic barbell + squat rack or cage
plates and bumpers- mix and match to get enough weight
dumbbells- preferrably loadable
pull up bar if you can't do pull ups off the rack/cage
a jump rope.

If you're smart you can do all this on the cheap.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I'd shift some of the money around and get a high(er) quality bar and squat rack. The c2, while fun really only carries over to... rowing. That would be my last choice. My personal "starter kit":
Olympic barbell + squat rack or cage
plates and bumpers- mix and match to get enough weight
dumbbells- preferrably loadable
pull up bar if you can't do pull ups off the rack/cage
a jump rope.

If you're smart you can do all this on the cheap.
The C2, while an expensive addition, has far more carryover than just rowing. This is a pretty potent metabolic monster that works very much the whole body. It may be a last addition due to cost but i would certainly get one when you can. Try a little 2k and shoot for around 7 minutes. See how ya feel after that.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

These seem like good suggestions so far, and I don't have much to add...

However, if you are REALLY tight on money and also REALLY want some kind of equipment for intervals/metcon (aside from sprints), then I would argue the following position:

For the money (used), I believer that a Schwinn AirDyne provides the best possible investment. Used AirDynes can be had VERY cheap (much cheaper than a C2) and are unbelievably good for HIIT/Tabata protocols. The C2 hits the upper body (especially the back) harder, but the AirDyne HAMMERS the quads and glutes (hamstrings not so much) and still demands a lot from the push/pull upper body.

I have both a rower and an AirDyne and, for me at least, the AirDyne is significantly better for HIIT/Tabata protocols. Don't get me wrong... I love rowing (and am practically BUILT to be a rower at 6'-5" with a long and strong torso) and would never give up my indoor erg. Still, for the money, the AirDyne is the best HIIT/Tabata machine I have ever used...

Just my 0.02$

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post
These seem like good suggestions so far, and I don't have much to add...

However, if you are REALLY tight on money and also REALLY want some kind of equipment for intervals/metcon (aside from sprints), then I would argue the following position:

For the money (used), I believer that a Schwinn AirDyne provides the best possible investment. Used AirDynes can be had VERY cheap (much cheaper than a C2) and are unbelievably good for HIIT/Tabata protocols. The C2 hits the upper body (especially the back) harder, but the AirDyne HAMMERS the quads and glutes (hamstrings not so much) and still demands a lot from the push/pull upper body.

I have both a rower and an AirDyne and, for me at least, the AirDyne is significantly better for HIIT/Tabata protocols. Don't get me wrong... I love rowing (and am practically BUILT to be a rower at 6'-5" with a long and strong torso) and would never give up my indoor erg. Still, for the money, the AirDyne is the best HIIT/Tabata machine I have ever used...

Just my 0.02$

Regards,
brittf
I'll second this. Although I actually bought one of my C2s for less than what I paid for my AirDyne. I do think the Airdyne is much better for Tabatas than rowing just because you spend so much time just getting the fan moving on the C2.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
I'd get the rack... the stands can't spot you.

OR, save some cash and build sawhorses at just the right height to spot you.

I'd also save about $100 and just build a med ball... basketball + sand = $10 med ball and it's just as durable.

What bumpers are you getting? I've never seen them for anywhere near that cheap, even the hi-temps from wright rubber. wright's run about $2 a pound, that's about double what you're quoting.
I agree on the med ball. Maybe don't make one, but just buy a Title Boxing med ball, we've got a bunch at our affiliate and have had no problems so far. We don't do ball slams with them, but even dynamax balls probably wouldn't hold up to that over time.

On the bumpers, just go with Rogue (or someone) for the Hi-Temp ones, they're cheap, and will last you forever.

Also, you don't need a bench IMHO, but if you have to get one, get a decent one. We picked up a $30 one and it's wobbly as crap, we've replaced it already.

The Squat Rack, get yourself one that has adjustable pins for spotting. Just go ahead and get yourself a cage. Maybe it's a handicap for me, but I dump my max effort squats onto pins, never dumping it backwards (less likelihood for injury). You can get a decent full cage for like $250-$300. Less if you look on Craigslist.

Rubber mats are a luxury, but nice for stuff where you'll be on the floor like burpees, situps, pushups, etc.

On the bar, SPEND THE MONEY ON A GOOD BAR. Rogue has a good bar that's like $250, trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by Matt DeMinico : 12-22-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
Jason Flora

Profile:

Pull-ups bars are pretty inexpensive to put in.....
I would concentrate on plates, a good bar, and power rack/squat rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3963.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5610  
Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
Brian Joseph

Profile:

An update on the gym progress:

I ordered the rogue SPX system this week to take advantage of the free shipping on it. I am going to skip getting the bench for now to help stay under budget since I went for the higher cost squat rack than the one I was considering (York FTS).

I will definitely be making my own 20 lb medicine ball and plyo boxes to save some money there.

I'm reconsidering what bar to get thanks to the input in this thread. A local fitness supplier has the 1500 lb test Troy olympic bar for $199. I'm considering going with the rogue bar though for $255 and 1/2 off shipping deal this week. What are your thoughts on these two?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Joseph View Post
I'm reconsidering what bar to get thanks to the input in this thread. A local fitness supplier has the 1500 lb test Troy olympic bar for $199. I'm considering going with the rogue bar though for $255 and 1/2 off shipping deal this week. What are your thoughts on these two?
While I don't have either one, I can definitely say get the Rogue based on what I've read around on these forums... AND that lifetime guarantee against bending is more than worth it.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
Matt Payne

Profile:

I am not that experienced with bars but I do have the Rogue bar and it is awesome.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #20
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
While I don't have either one, I can definitely say get the Rogue based on what I've read around on these forums... AND that lifetime guarantee against bending is more than worth it.
This is why I bought it. I've had it for almost a year and it has been great.