CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Greasey machine shop smell

All excellent ideas. Now I've got to figure out how much kitty litter we need to cover 6400 sq feet with at least a little bit of material...
Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Jason Ashman

Profile:

Many moons ago, I worked for a tool n die shop, and they used to clean the dies with a power steamer- basically boiling/near boiling water in a powerwasher, mixed with a degreaser of some sort. The machine heats the water, and compresses it down as well.

Will remove everything, although I'm not sure what affect it will have on concrete.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ashman View Post
Many moons ago, I worked for a tool n die shop, and they used to clean the dies with a power steamer- basically boiling/near boiling water in a powerwasher, mixed with a degreaser of some sort. The machine heats the water, and compresses it down as well.

Will remove everything, although I'm not sure what affect it will have on concrete.
I think this is the route we'll end up going, the guy who used to live across the street from me, he owns a powerwashing company, probably going to have him use his power washer and degreasing agent, after we kitty-litter the place.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

Our box also had grease on the floors and smelled when we moved in. We ended up pressure washing the whole thing and that solved the problem pretty well. Because of the layout we had to shop vac up the water as we went, which was kind of a pain, but it worked.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kinnick View Post
Our box also had grease on the floors and smelled when we moved in. We ended up pressure washing the whole thing and that solved the problem pretty well. Because of the layout we had to shop vac up the water as we went, which was kind of a pain, but it worked.
Yeah, you guys outgrew that garage you guys started in (though it was nice). I still remember doing Helen in the rain (I think you were out of town at the moment) in January '08 at your place.

We might get a giant squeegie or something and squeegie the water towards any drains as we go.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
Eugene Goldashkin

Profile:

if you can get the type they use to dry tennis coarts then you should be good. you can also try painting the floor or even spraying on rubber coating.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Ed Walto

Profile:

Hot water and a degreaser through a power washer will fix it.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #18
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Goldashkin View Post
if you can get the type they use to dry tennis coarts then you should be good. you can also try painting the floor or even spraying on rubber coating.
Ooh I could get some "diamond dry", the stuff they use on ballfields. Wonder what that costs...
Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
All excellent ideas. Now I've got to figure out how much kitty litter we need to cover 6400 sq feet with at least a little bit of material...
This is funny.

You know how kitty litter was invented? Guy went into a hardware store looking for sawdust for his cat box. Hardware store didn't have any, said why not try this clay stuff the machine shops use for cleaning up spills. It worked great, and the rest is history.

Katherine