CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
First time Fran and Thrusters

I'm thinking about doing Fran this week because I am in a bind at work and don't have a lot of time to work out. I know there are other threads on this subject but I thought I'd start my own then post my results. I'd like to get some advice how to approach this.

General Approach:
I have weights in my garage and PU bar in backyard. I was thinking of doing thrusters in backyard then walking around to backyard (roughly 50feet). That would comprise my rest time between Thrusters and pullups. Another option would be to take the weights to the back yard.

Also, I am pretty sure I can do the first set of 21 as prescribed but I may destroy my chances of completing the 15-9. Should I break up the 21 set with a 30 second break at 10 reps or just do it?

Background:
*CF fan for about 4 - 5 months now but I don't follow a cross fit program, not yet at least. I pretty much just check up on the forums and main page every day.
*I've been on an O'lifting kick the last two months so most of my workouts have revolved around around O'Lifting lately.
*I run 5k's or sprints a couple times a month with some friends from work.
*My CFT is approximately 880 and I weight 195 which makes me an intermediate Cross Fitter.
*I think I can do Fran as Rx'd. 95lb Thrusters and kippings.
*I've been practicing kippings for the last couple months so I am cool with that.
*I have never done thrusters but I have a good ATG squat and I know where the bar is supposed to end up over my head at lockout.
*I have weights
Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Mike Goldberg

Profile:
Re: First time Fran and Thrusters

Fran is one of those workouts that just destroys you, and it's quite surprising just how effective it does that.

Fran is a "sprint", so the object is to get this done as quickly as possible. Therefore, don't build in any rest breaks - you'll probably be resting enough as it is. Bring your weights to the backyard so they are as near to the pullup bar as possible. Obviously, the goal is to do the sets unbroken, but more realistically, the first few times you do Fran you'll probably find yourself breaking them in half or even thirds. Do what you can, rest for a couple breaths, then get some more.

It sounds like you've done a few metcons before, so if you feel ready to do it as prescribed, go for it. I wouldn't recommend going Rx to someone who is just getting started - that's an invitation for Rhabdo.

If you can't finish the workout as prescribed, drop down the weight, and work your way up over time. It's always better to learn the movements with proper form using lighter weights, so there is absolutely no shame in that.

One thing's for certain - it'll be an educational experience.

You'll probably be surprised by what this workout does to you, but don't be disappointed in your performance. Just use it to compare your future performance to gauge improvement.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mike Goldberg : 12-08-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goldberg View Post
Fran is a "sprint", so the object is to get this done as quickly as possible. Therefore, don't build in any rest breaks - you'll probably be resting enough as it is. Bring your weights to the backyard so they are as near to the pullup bar as possible.
Thanks Mike. I'd like to get more info on building in the rest breaks. 400m or less to me is a sprint and I can run a 400m in approx 1:15. The Fran times I have looked at have been anywhere from 6m to 12m which would make Fran more comparable to a 1m run. Therefore I would think there has to be some sort of pacing involved. I know from experience I can destroy the rest of my workout by killing myself on the first set. For example, if I pop of 21 PU's the first set but then I'm stuck doing sets of five or triples the rest of the workout that didn't really help me get a faster time.

Side note on brining weights to back hard. There is a slide grade in my backyard. I suppose I want to try to find the flatest area as possible close to the PU bar and point my toes down hill. That should be the same as wearing a lifting shoe with lifted heels. I'll probably go barefoot then.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Brian, it's only in the past couple days that I realized you are new to the Crossfit workouts.

I think you need to think less and just do it. Less typing and more Ronny Coleman backslapping and screaming "light weight baby!!!"

I mean really, it's only Fran. You're strong...what's the worst that can happen? You should video it...and do it tomorrow!

As far as reps go...try and do the sets unbroken but at a deliberate pace. If you need to break up sets, fine. You'll never know until you try.

Last edited by Jesse Kodadek : 12-08-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Work first, analysis later. You're ready. Pick your barbell to your backyard, and get it done. Then you can post about how you felt, how you can improve, and if you're feeling geeky, compute your power output.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Just trying to get myself jacked up in anticipation.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
Tom Ellison

Profile:

I'd say, don't overthink it. Especially with a short, brutal workout like Fran, I don't think having a "plan of attack" is that useful. Just go at it. Drop the bar when you absolutely have to, take five breaths, and pick it back up. Repeat as necessary
Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You could do 11 then 10 thrusters or kipping pullups in the first round or try 15-6. I just hate having to clean it too many times during a WOD, wasted effort.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Just trying to get myself jacked up in anticipation.
I meant "jacked up" in a good way, such as looking forward to doing it all day today. Weather report said chance of rain tonight but we'll see.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Fran sucks when you do it for the first time - no two ways about it.

Put the barbell close to the pull up bar. When you are done with thrusters, jump on the pull up bar; when you finish with pull ups, clean the barbell and get to the thrusters.

You are definitely strong enough, and have the endurance to complete Fran.

Don't worry about not being able to go straight through the rounds of 21, 15 and 9 without stopping. People who can get through all three rounds without stopping, finish Fran in under 3:00 minutes. I am not doubting you or your ability, but I have never seen anyone get through Fran without stopping when it was their first attempt at Fran. It just goes with the territory.

Here's a tip: you really don't need to take AS LONG of a break as you think you do. If you drop the barbell, shake out your arms, take two or three deep breaths, then pick it back up and keep going. If you drop off the pull up bar - same thing.

IMHO - the only thing that helps you to feel better about Fran is FINISHING IT. Taking long breaks only prolongs the agony.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 12-09-2008 at 09:49 AM.