CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #21
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Core cooling and Work Output experiment

I suppose it would be legit to try dunking both cold and merely cool.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #22
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Wheelock View Post
I saw 2 interesting articles about a core cooling temperature device.
The core idea is that the hands are an excellent avenue for decreasing the core body temperature during a workout.
A lower core temperature correlates to faster recovering.
Faster recovery yields magnificent improvement.
You following me.

The Call to Action
==================
I'm going to bring 2 ice packs with me to do my workouts over the next 2 weeks and compare my times to see how they are affected.
I'm going to focus on workouts like Cindy where there are planned breaks so I can apply the ice packs.
I'm going to record the reduction in workout times and see what benefit the Wheelock Method has.
Is anyone else willing to participate?

I've always wanted to have a method named after me, perhaps this will be called the Wheelock Method ( of low-tech core cooling.).
I had thought this was already well-established. I can't remember what I was watching, some sporting event, a while back and the athlete was wearing a cooling type of vest before the start of the race. It might have been the IronMan or the Tour de France or something, but the commentators were talking casually about the gear as if it were common knowledge that starting out cooler produced better athletic results. It seems a bit of common sense, really. I remember OCS in the Quantico sun/humidity and the heat was really the thing that sucked the life out of you. Doing the same event in 60 degree weather was so much easier than doing it in 92 degrees.

So, isn't this really already a fairly straightforward proposition? I mean, try running in hot, miserable weather. Now try running on a 70 degree day with a light breeze. That is, in effect, 20 degrees of "cooling" (constantly) that you're "immersed" in. Obviously, not the same kind of impact as direct placement of a cooling vest, but do we really need experiments to prove this point?

Sorry, Bryan, you can still call it the Wheelock method.

And, btw, I'm as curious as anyone to see what kind of volume you could add to your pullups, or time cut on Angie, etc.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #23
Christian Mason

Profile:

It's already well established that aerobic performance drops off in head, since the body will shunt some of the blood supply away from the working muscles to speed cooling.

The less cooling is needed, the less diversion of oxygen rich blood away from working muscles is seen.

Now the catch here is that this doesn't necessarily mean its better to train in the cold. It might be....if it allows higher output.

But there's also some speculation (anecdotal evidence) that working out in high temperatures will facilitate more muscle capilliary development to help with this cooling process (and make it less of a hit, in terms of O2 delivered to the working muscles). These extra capilliaries would allow better gas exchange with the muscles when they're not being used for cooling, i.e. at lower temperatures. So it might actually be better for your overall work capacity to work out at higher temperatures, provided you don't mange to give yourself a FGB induced heat stroke or the like.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #24
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale F. Saran View Post
I had thought this was already well-established. I can't remember what I was watching, some sporting event, a while back and the athlete was wearing a cooling type of vest before the start of the race. It might have been the IronMan or the Tour de France or something, but the commentators were talking casually about the gear as if it were common knowledge that starting out cooler produced better athletic results. It seems a bit of common sense, really. I remember OCS in the Quantico sun/humidity and the heat was really the thing that sucked the life out of you. Doing the same event in 60 degree weather was so much easier than doing it in 92 degrees.

So, isn't this really already a fairly straightforward proposition? I mean, try running in hot, miserable weather. Now try running on a 70 degree day with a light breeze. That is, in effect, 20 degrees of "cooling" (constantly) that you're "immersed" in. Obviously, not the same kind of impact as direct placement of a cooling vest, but do we really need experiments to prove this point?

Sorry, Bryan, you can still call it the Wheelock method.

And, btw, I'm as curious as anyone to see what kind of volume you could add to your pullups, or time cut on Angie, etc.
I can attest to this fact. During the FGB fundraiser, I did the workout at Hyperfit USA. They've got a much larger place, and though they do have enough fans, they didn't have 'em all running that day. I'm used to working out in a 700 square foot garage with three large (well, not large, but high powered) fans when it's really hot. Worst case at least one fan is running during workouts.

Either way, I was absolutely positively dying because I was so freaking hot in that gym, whereas in the heat of summer in a hot garage with some fans moving air, I'm normally fine.