CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
James lee

Profile:
Affiliation process

Here's my problem. Because of the popularity of Crossfit, there are lot of people wanting to get in on the action and start an affiliation. Is there currently any way of determining if a specific area is being looked at or at the least in the process of someone becoming an affiliate? if not, can this be created?

I've been researching and looking for a place in a certain area for the last couple month and i am very close to signing a lease. Just today i found out that someone else has been looking at the same area and they might be close to signing. Since Crossfit HQ does not limit affiliates in a certain area, it would be really really nice to be able to know and more importantly able to communicate with those looking in the same area.

I'm sure most of the affiliates here understand how hard is to find a spot that can work for what we want to do especially if you are here in the LA area. Because of the permit issues, it is almost impossible to find a spot suitable for a gym so for me to spend 2-3 month to find a place just to find out that someone else has done the same and is ready to open an affiliate in the same neighborhood... well..it sucks.

Last thing i want is to sign a 3 year lease just to find out that someone else did the same down the street.

any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks,
James
Old 09-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Zack Murphy

Profile:
Re: Affiliation process

Honestly, because of the area you're in, I wouldn't focus on ensuring a minimum distance from other possible affiliates, especially if you're opening a box and not a garage affiliate.

Start your marketing, word-of-mouth, and membership drive now, get in to the box asap and get started. Even if one opens up down the street, all you have to do is establish a superior/unique product and you'll be fine.

Not a perfect analogy, but think of car dealerships: not even remotely concerned with where the others are, because their brand identity and relative quality of product ensures their customer base is looking for them (whatever that base is).

Now, all that aside, it would be nice to know more about that other possible affiliate. Is it a jiu-jitsu based CF, or is it a straight up WOD center? Is it 6 trainers coming from a globo with a herd of clients, or just an avid CF'er who wants to get paid to do it? Some of those possible scenarios would concern me, some not at all. You know what I mean?

That would be MUCH more interesting to me, from the perspective of possible competition. (Since you would want/need to distinguish your product.)