CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Kids Bar - Choices?

so my 10 & 8 year old are finishing up baseball next week and are wanting to get back into our weights that we do.

I'm looking for a good kids bar and am struggling with some of the choices out there. With 3 other kids still behind them (6,5, & 3) I want something that will last.

All links WFS

http://www.roguefitness.com/junior-economy-bar

179$ & Free Shipping but no guarantee like the others outside of construction. While I don't plan on them dropping from huge heights it will get dropped some. Also no real idea on the knurling for the bar. Price is good, I like Rogue's quality, anyone used these and have experience?

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/25lb-...g-_p_2569.html

Its a Pendlay but comes in at 299$ but has a lifetime guarantee. More olympic from what I know. Not sure the cost is something I would say 'yes' too, but is it worth the price knowing 5 kids (and maybe the wife) will use this and that warranty could come into play?

http://www.fringesport.com/collectio...b-training-bar

This one kinda scares me... its not anywhere close to the same quality as the other two. Price is hard to beat at 129$ but this comes down to the "get what you are paying for" Will it last?

Those 3 are really my main choices. Yes if I wanted I could get a Female bar, but I prefer a smaller diameter for the kids and their hands that come from the training/kids bars.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Andrew Daggon

Profile:
Re: Kids Bar - Choices?

Well out of those three, the rogue and pendlay have the exact same diameter as a women's bar, at 25mm. And then the fringe has the same diameter as a 20kg bar at 28mm, so I'm not sure what you mean by a smaller diameter for your kids hands.

If a women's bar is a little too heavy at 15kg, then either of the first two options would be a good choice since they are 10kg (rogue) or 25lbs (pendlay). The pendlay one does seem like a much higher quality, basically being a slightly lighter version of their HD bushing bar.

The fringesport one solves the problem of women's bar being too heavy, but it might be way too thick for your kids hands.

Now if you think the weight of a normal women's bar wouldn't be a problem, then just grab one of those from any of the companies, but it might be a bit too much for the kids, so in that case either of the first two would be good diameter and weight wise. And quality is really up to how much you want to spend.

I think the rogue one is probably the better buy overall, since it's like half the price as the pendlay and still has a pretty good 155k tensile strength
Old 11-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I thought about that as far as the rogue.

As far as a woman's bar I could go there but I prefer the 25lb one because even though something is only 10lbs heavier I prefer to make sure they can handle that bar and add weight as I go. When we work on speed stuff that 10lbs might not seem like a big deal to us 20+ year olds but to an 8 or 10 year old it does.

I'm probably leaning toward the rogue bar even tho I have a pendlay already. I do like the specs on the tensile strength just the lack of warranty has that small Bleh taste at the end of a drink.

Just wondering thoughts or experiences of others who might have used any of these for a kid
Old 11-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Tom Scibelli

Profile:

I have the rogue 10kg bar for my kids and it's awesome they're squatting and deadlifting in the 100 pound range and it's great. I actually want to buy the bella(15kg) bar at some point.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Luke Conner

Profile:

My son is 10 and I bought him this one:http://www.roguefitness.com/5kg-aluminum-tech-bar (WFS)

It's only 11lbs. Even though they may deadlift at a weight where the 22lbs Rogue trainer bar may make sense, when it comes to snatches and clean and jerks he really needed the lighter weight bar. When he needs something heaver for deadlifts and squats he'll switch to the rogue trainer.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'll ask what we have for our juniors tomorrow. And what is used at the main WL club in the big city that we are an extension there of.

That being said, I'd go for 25mm bars or a women's bar. Your 10yo should be able to be on a women's bar in some time. We have a 12/13yo and TBH, he's probably the same height and handspan as me. He's no weakling either and he could probably use a men's bar if push came to shove. What's difficult for these preteens is using a 20kg bar for stuff like muscle snatches or cleans so it's nice to have some 15kg bars for them then. We had some scrawny baseball players and sometimes I used women's bars for snatching and men's bars for cleaning early on.

I know that our junior bars have a sign stating the max loads to be used on them. I think some of the stupid college kids and females will use them for stupid **** like curls or super lightweight stuff. We have a 7 and 8yo I think besides some smaller 9/10yo. I know when I used to have my gymnasts deadlift we used those straight bars that are 1" and those fit fine in the hands of tiny 6 or 7yo. 1" is basically 25mm.

Something to be said about a weighted PVC bar like the Rogue war bars or just making your own.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
Tom Scibelli

Profile:

Here's a click of my son squatting with the rogue junior bar, he's getting close to outgrowing it.

http://youtu.be/SwE_jboyj18
Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

I'm considering getting this for my 8 year old daughter.

http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/X-...NG-_p_734.html (WFS)

We have 15lb bars at our gym - no clue which ones they are - and she loves using them. She cannot handle a 35lb bar (I already have a bella bar a home) unless doing DL.
I don't know how well put together the pink bar is though...
Old 11-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I would see if that's a 25mm bar. Looks kinda neat though.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Well I went with the Pendlay bar because it was a little over 200$ shipped from Rogue for theirs and I had some GC's from purchasing bumpers from Muscle Driver in the past which got the price down to close to the same amount.

Will let you know how it works in a few weeks