CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #701
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
It's Khalipa. Goodness gracious.

K H A L I P A

- Mark
i am surprised you let the Fisher spelling slide, that one is even worse for all of us. Fisher, Fischer, Fishr etc..
Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #702
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
i am surprised you let the Fisher spelling slide, that one is even worse for all of us. Fisher, Fischer, Fishr etc..
I get that all the time. There aren't many of us Fischer's out there. I have to spell it out every single time...
Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #703
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
Guess I overlooked that one. I'm slipping.

- Mark
Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #704
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post
I also recently went to the MDUSA open Olympic lifting meet and got to watch and meet many of the lifters. James Tatum weighed in at like 171 pounds I think...I watched him on Friday hitting like under his max loads in prep for the meet. 300-325lbs plus on clean and jerks like they were nothing...for multiples. Yes, built thick but again, a total freak.
The scary part about that is that USA lifters aren't in the top 10 worldwide...guys in the same weight class as Tatum around the world (russia, china, bulgaria, poland, etc) are hitting weights far beyond what North American (Canada for some reason hasn't sent a male weightlifter in ages) athletes are doing. 2013 USA 77kg champ total 303kg, Russian 77kg champ 351kg, Chinese 77kg champ 371kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
The people competing in later Regionals will have more time practicing HS walk, strict HSPU, legless rope climbs and heavy OHS than people competing in earlier Regionals - but the same amount of time as all their competitors for the same Region.

So if Tovar and Briggs were competing in a later regionals, they may have been able to practice more and gone a little farther on the HS walk, but so would everyone else in their region. So I would expect they would probably place the same.
On the one hand yes they get more practice/prep BUT on the other hand the earlier you compete the more rest AND training you get for the big show.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #705
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Did anyone else hear Briggs on the Wodcast podcast? I don't know if she was joking but she said something about wishing there was a winner take all competition right before the Games that included any former Games athletes who didn't qualify at Regionals. The winner would advance to the Games. Any version of that idea would be incredibly awesome, IMO. they could even make it the weekend before the Games so that whoever wins enters the Games already at a disadvantage of not being totally rested, similar to wild cards in other sports.

Also, Lindsey Valenzuela seems to be pretty peeved at how Regionals went down. She's joked on twitter about the judging, or lack there of. She's said she's going to write an article on the weekend, can't wait to see if she vents in there
Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #706
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
She's said she's going to write an article on the weekend, can't wait to see if she vents in there
Hope she does vent. It's hard to be dead-sure about it just by watching the video, but it sure looked to me like she was wrongly no-repped on that rope climb.

- Mark
Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #707
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Very difficult to judge, certainly via video, if not in person. I was at the MidA regionals, one guy at the end struggling kept getting no-repped. He was flailing pretty hard, and as a result, his legs would 'scissor' sometimes, and by quite a bit. Very easy to see that, but hard to know, at any time, was he actually getting any friction on the rope during that move AND using it to lift himelf up at all? I think only the athlete can really know that. A judge is left only to say, did they "see daylight disappear" between the rope and the athlete's legs, and if so, the athlete was in a position to be getting an assist from it?

As far as LV's climbs go, I think that her kip further complicated it. When she swings her legs back, then forward, her legs were together, and somewhat narrow. It would be difficult to discern, when they come forward, is she then 'clamping' just that little bit - intentionally or not, and I doubt it was - and getting help? That's different, say, than the "bicycle" type of leg action that some people use: with each leg opposing the other, it's nearly impossible to use that to help your climb.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #708
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

^^ this. And in this vein, each athlete is also responsible for assessing the risk of whatever technique they choose to use getting no-repped. Using a more conventional kip may have been more reliable for her to make it to the top, but it also creates the potential for a judge to see a no-rep, accurately or not.

Many athletes are capable of squat snatching the OHS bar in the last event and winning themselves a few second advantage, but it seems most have decided it's not worth the risk of missing or getting no-repped for depth due to a fast drop and likely unstable receiving position on the first rep.

You will see it often with the best athletes that they intentionally slow down and pause at the top or bottom on their first few reps to gain the favor and trust of the judge before they start increasing their rep-cycling rate and toe-ing the line of what their judge will tolerate.

Rope climbs are probably the most punishing movement to toe the line with, which is why it is probably better to use a more conservative technique and only jump on the rope when you "know" you can get to the top cleanly.

And even still, sometimes you will get no-repped anyway. Such is the nature of sport, and should really help us all appreciate just how good the very best athletes are when they execute and perform with blazing speed and precision, despite all the things that could go wrong.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #709
Steve Ferencik

Profile:

I don't want to start a new thread to ask a simple question, and I searched the thread before I posted this.

Does anyone know if they are allowing spectators to bring a backpack or bag into the regional events?

The tickets say no outside food or water. The only way I can see the enforcing this is if they don't allow bags.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #710
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ferencik View Post
I don't want to start a new thread to ask a simple question, and I searched the thread before I posted this.

Does anyone know if they are allowing spectators to bring a backpack or bag into the regional events?

The tickets say no outside food or water. The only way I can see the enforcing this is if they don't allow bags.
They allow bags, but they inspect them before you enter the facility.