CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Ajay Handa

Profile:
Recommendations for (premade) sandbag

Hey,

My wife wants to get me something for my garage gym. I've been wanting a sandbag for some time, and I've decided I don't want a homemade one. I've searched the forums, but I'm still undecided which sandbag to get.

Any recommendations or thoughts on any of the following branded sandbags?

GORUCK

Brute Force

Vulcan

I know I can't go wrong with any of them, but I thought that maybe someone has some strong opinions and experience with some of them.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Ajay
Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Recommendations for (premade) sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Handa View Post
Hey,

My wife wants to get me something for my garage gym. I've been wanting a sandbag for some time, and I've decided I don't want a homemade one. I've searched the forums, but I'm still undecided which sandbag to get.

Any recommendations or thoughts on any of the following branded sandbags?

GORUCK

Brute Force

Vulcan

I know I can't go wrong with any of them, but I thought that maybe someone has some strong opinions and experience with some of them.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Ajay
Ajay,

I cannot speak for the brands mentioned but I've owned my MDUSA brand for two years, and it's been G2G.

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/Sandb...y-_p_1204.html (WSF)

It's held up really well and I recently upgraded to the XL.

I have no complaints, and they are a fraction of the cost.

Michael
Old 03-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

I have two "Protocol" bags. Bought them on closeout at Dick's Sporting goods. (I can still find on google). A 50# and a 100# with filler bags. Probably spent $50 total + $15 of pea gravel for fill.
My "50" bag actually weights 55# fully loaded. No idea about the 100, it's really heavy.
Anyway, these things have held up well. I throw them, swing them, slam them, carry them, grab the handles, grab the bag. All sorts of abuse. On hard surfaces and in the mud. They've held up well over the past two or so years. More than my money's worth and can't see the more expensive bag being any better.

I guess to summarize what I'm saying is, much like Michael, don't overlook some of the lesser expensive bags - like the MDUSA one linked. Bags will probably break at some point. I'd rather break 2-3 of these "cheaper" bags over a few years, than break one $150 one.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the one's you listed. I have the Rogue medium sandbag and its great except for the way the handles are constructed and the lack of extra handles. I was going to buy the GoRuck bag, but had a gift card to Rogue already. I did buy the filler bags from GoRuck because they are a lot cheaper than the Rogue one's and I have been thoroughly impressed thus far. Well constructed and I have used them in my Rogue sandbag and my 5.11 ruck.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
Tim Dewyngaert

Profile:

Ajay,

I have a GoRuck 80lb bag and the thing is TOP NOTCH. I love it. The material is great and they're super reasonable as far as price/value goes. The filler bags are super strong and velcro down in a double seal fashion so no leaks. They also sell multiple sizes in the filler bags. When I ordered the 80lber I got (2) 40lb fillers included. But I like the fillers so much I am thinking of buying several other combos of sizes to be able to mix up the weights and the filler material. This might help if you and the Bosslady are going to be sharing it. Don't know if you've checked out the site in detail, but you should try a Challenge. Good Times, Good Livin'.

Hope it helps.

Dewy
Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

So, I have used the MDUSA ones. Reallllly nice. Good construction, solid as heck. We have those at our gym. I, however, have the Rogue one for my garage. I didn't get a filler bag, I just got a shovel and filled the sucker up. It's about a little less than 3/4 full and weights 55#. Really nice little tool! I'd buy another in a heart beat.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Joey Dussel

Profile:

I bought three run-of-the-mill military-style duffle bags (WFS http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...?ProductID=916), filled them with rubber mulch since it's larger than sand and can't work it's way out through tiny holes or gaps at the closure points, and then zip tied the end closed with 3-4 ties which I covered in duct tape. They are used an average of 10x per week for two years and only one has some damage from one of the guys dragging it on the concrete (I was upset at him!!).

The mulch was the way to go for sure! Bags + S&H + rubber mulch for the three I built (70, 80, and 90 lbs) was only $210. The mulch was the costliest part, so if you want to same some more money either make smaller / lighter bags or make bags of part sand and part rubber mulch but be extra diligent about your closure method.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

Pellet fuel also makes an excellent filler for the GI duffle bags. They cost about $5 for 40# and two bags can fit in a duffle bag. Of course, theres no handles but you really don't need those