CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Tony Human

Profile:
Question Affiliation

Hey Guys/Gals,

I have been approved for Affiliation, but my name choice wasn't approved. I was asked to submit three additional name choices. The first approval of my essay and application took right at 6 weeks. I sent my new name choices on the 18th. I sent a follow up email a week later. It has now been 2 weeks. Is it another 6 weeks to approve the name? Any experience with this? I have emailed, but cannot find a number to call.

Tony
Old 10-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Michael F Ward

Profile:
Re: Affiliation

That's so funny, I had just logged in to ask the EXACT same question.

I was lucky, my affiliation approval only took 3 weeks 5 days .
But have had to now resubmit my name choices.

I too would like to know from anyone who has had to do the same, about how long they had to wait for name approval.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Nathan Steele

Profile:

What's up guys? You're not alone. I'm in the same boat. It's been a week now since I resubmitted some name options and I'm checking my email every 5 minutes to see if it's come through yet. I'm super stoked to get started as I'm sure you both are as well. Hopefully we all hear today. Good luck to you both.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I have nothing useful to add, I'm just curious - did your names get rejected because another CF was already using it, or what?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Tony Human

Profile:
Unhappy Re: Affiliation

They didn't say. In reviewing the rules, I guess because it was my last name, but obviously that's a new rule as Jeremy Kinnick owns CrossFit Kinnick. And Human is actually way more common as a regular word than a name. I asked them to reconsider when I included my new name choices. Hopefully today!!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Michael F Ward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I have nothing useful to add, I'm just curious - did your names get rejected because another CF was already using it, or what?
They didn't say in the 1st approval, new-name submission email. But I did get a long list of guidelines that i need to keep in mind when choosing a name.

Does anyone know when CrossFit HQ changed their naming guidelines.

From CrossFit HQ: "For the most part, our naming guidelines are as follows:

Basically, it's no continents, countries, provinces, regions, states, counties, large cities, religious references, movie names, celebrity names, personal names, trademarked names, government agencies, or names that are already taken. As long as no one else has it or has applied for it, and it's a name we will license, you'll be good to go."

Does that mean there will be NO MORE boxes named after towns, cities, suburbs or the like? There will be some very creative names coming into existence real soon if that's the case.

I did ask in my return email for the reason as to why my original name choice was rejected, but no reply yet.

It's hard to now be waiting as I'm all but ready to open, but can't. I was calm up until getting my essay approved email as I knew it would take 5-6 weeks, but now the waiting is killing me.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Michael Stoll

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F Ward View Post
Does that mean there will be NO MORE boxes named after towns, cities, suburbs or the like? There will be some very creative names coming into existence real soon if that's the case.
Towns, cities, suburbs, neighborhoods should all still be good to go. Just no LARGE cities (though what makes a city large is a good question).

People have had to get creative for a while now, but there is no shortage of good "CrossFit XXX" combinations out there. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stoll View Post
Towns, cities, suburbs, neighborhoods should all still be good to go. Just no LARGE cities (though what makes a city large is a good question).

People have had to get creative for a while now, but there is no shortage of good "CrossFit XXX" combinations out there. Good luck!
I would think just something immediately recognizable to anybody - Chicago, Houston, Miami, New York, the like. The thing is, I bet most any of those are already taken.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Michael F Ward

Profile:

Ok so quick update:

it took 3 weeks 5 days for my essay approval, but I needed to resubmit my name as the 1st one I chose was too close to another box name and my others were no good as they too closely referenced large city/town, I found this out 4 days after re-submission.

The 2nd submission, was denied as well as it too was to close to another box name. Some may say, 'well why didn't you check?'. I did, I googled my name choices, I typed the name choices as though they were URL's and nothing came up on google or otherwise, neither did the close variations. Both similar named boxes don't have websites yet (must be new affiliates like myself), so their URL's didn't show. No way for me to check.

BUT, WOOHOO!
Got an email this morning that this 3rd submission for name choice has been approved and all the formal documents have been sent for me to proceed.

I hope this helps anyone now or in the future who may be looking for answers as to how long some things take and some reasons why they do.